Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Dejunking with Freecycle...

I have never gotten through some containers of stuff since our last move, today I decided to start working my way through it. I sorted out some old pictures, silk flowers, a cd player I don't need, and a box of books I no longer use (I work in a library--who needs to keep books now?) I placed some ads on one of our local freecycle elists from yahoogroups.com By the end of the day I hope to have all this stuff gone from my sight. Like magic! So far I have confirmed takers for almost all of it and they all plan to come this afternoon. I hope hope hope everyone shows and it all goes away. Much less clutter to deal with.

One thing I have learned from moving as much as I have the past few years is get rid of things you don't think you'll be using--it just really is a pain to pack and move and its so much worse when you haul things you don't even need. Every house we've moved to has been a little smaller than the last one, so getting rid of excess has been a very good thing. I like a small house that's easy to clean and has room enough for our family and the things we really want. The less junk the better!

NOT included as 'junk' things I really use-- some of my favorite garden tools, and so far I'm still hanging on to some art and embroidery supplies and extra kitchen things--but less than I used to have. Even hubby has downsized his tools and computer junk the past few moves.

My favorite places to get rid of junk--

Craigslist.com if I want to sell it. Sold my homeschool curriculum and some old canning stuff that way.

Freecycle if I just want it to disappear

Thrift Stores--if I feel like driving it places.

Rummages sales--if someone else is going to be with me to do it--I do not do these much, last time I did one alone I got the creeps from some of the customers and decided it was safer to skip this idea.

so today was a sort of cloudy/overcast day and I'm home and got some things done-- but I'm most happy with the dejunking job in my bedroom. :)

Space costs money. It saves money when you have space that isn't gummed up with junk.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post...I am planning a total clean out in my bathroom this Saturday...first thing in the morning! I can hardly wait!!! I try and be as minimalistic as possible...I like wide open spaces...moving more toward a MODERN feel the older I get! Feng Shui.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes--that is the way I am getting too.I like to have plants, but I'm kind of done with 'excess' stuff in the house. I like a small house without clutter these days.
    The freecycle worked great. I had 4 loads of stuff taken yesterday by 4 folks who all turned up as scheduled and were pleased to get my junk. :)

    ReplyDelete