Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Scavengers Soup- Tacos & Veggie Soup



This morning, after I took a nice long walk and got my wash and dishes going, I did a fridge clean out/sort. The perfect time to throw together a 'scavenger's soup'. I finally cut up, vacuum sealed and froze the big pack of mozarella I had in there from my last Sam's club trip. I wiped out the little compartments, and I sorted the leftovers into


1. Cut up for soup
2. Prep for dinner or lunch today
3. Keep a little longer
4. Time for the compost bin.
*I keep a larg sized plastic coffee container with lid under my sink for coffee grounds and veggie scraps. Whenever its full I take it out to my compost bin. Sadly today I found I had several moldy tomatoes that got missed, those went in the coffee can with cabbage and potato peels, coffe grounds and orange rinds



For today's soup I used
leftovers of: taco meat, ground beef (browned & drained first) chopped red onion and bell pepper, salsa,cooked whole corn,

And fridge/pantry findings of:
Fresh/or nearly fresh: 1/2 a small cabbage, 4 or 5 diced potatos that had begun to sprout, (I checked for firmness and peeled them) chopped up baby carrots and celry, a small can of garbanzo beans,a small can of tomatoes, a large bottle of V-8 juice that I had gotten a deal on with coupons/sale using Grocery Game. I also filled the bottle with water and added that to the soup as well. some Tones Beef soup base-- I measured out an approximate amount to make my soup brothy. A few bay leaves, sprinkles of rosemary, a small handful of thyme, Kosher salt and pepper. A little sugar to 'cut the acid' of the tomatoes. I'm going to toss in a couple of handfuls of chopped cilantro when the soup is about 30 minutes to done.

I can't say what exact measures of any of this is-The taco meat/ground beef was a bit less than a pound I think. -leftovers aren't an exact science--but I've got a nice stock pot full of a great looking, healthy eating, and awesome smelling concoction going on in here, and I think it almost has to taste good. It may need just a bit of spice tweaking when its done.

We have a little bit of leftover homemade tortilla chips in a ziplock that might be good crumbled on top the soup--or maybe a tad of leftover cheddar or pepper jack shredded on top? I saw small squares of those in the fridge too.

Meanwhile I have avoided a run to the grocery store on a day when I have much better things to do. :) I've also got some flank steak ready for dinner and some little potatoes and a bit of brocoli and baby carrots that didn't go in the soup. The very few items I need at the store in the next few days I can probably send one of my sons to get or pick up on the way home from work.

I love so much to save time, money and stress by just doing a little scavenger soup Fridge Clean out. A semi-frugal favorite!

For dinner we're having our flank Steak with some grilling spices--probably I'll broil it in the house though. We'll have some small potatoes, baby carrots and brocoli all cooked in ziplock steaming bags. I will probably do these in separate bags and then combine the brocoli and carrots in one dish and leave the potatoes separate. I'll likely just cook them with a very small amount of olive oil and some Mrs. Dash seasonings or possibly kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. The ziplock steam bags always make great veggie dishes for me--I really love the ease of use for these things. I save my coupons and try to get them on sale--but being semi-frugal I'll splurge too. They are great little simplifiers in the kitchen.

2 comments:

  1. Yumm! Its good-- It is best with the crumpled up tortilla chips though-- adds just the right touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This soup sounds and looks deliscious! Great idea to empty out refridge...I am going to do that tomorrow in the crock pot!!!

    ReplyDelete