Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Out My Window, End of May 08

This morning I've been watching 'Stumpy' the chipmunk. He's a particular chippy that lives someplace in my yard. He has a short stumpy tail. A few days ago I began to notice that a clay pot I recently filled with seed has been filling up with peanuts and other odd things. I just watched as Stumpy came along and grabbed his peanut from the pot and began to eat from it. He also foraged under the party bird feeder and carried several things to the pot. He seems to make use of the pot as a mini-kitchen, he sits in it and munches and leaves his extras there for later. Nothing has germinated in the pot, I suppose Stumpy has had more than bird seed to eat there. ;)

Otherwise lots of baby finches lately, the cardinals have been around again, I have noticed alot of catbird bathing--so I am thinking they may be laying eggs right now. Not sure if wild birds are like caged birds but I recall when I used to have cockatiels that the mother would bathe alot when she was laying eggs. The brown thrashers I wonder, those babies must be near ready to fledge now.

A female rufous towhee has been here lately too. My garden is getting very bushy with tomatos. I've begun to thin the plants and tie them better to their stakes. Aphids have been getting on them, so I'm fighting those and also I picked off some slugs and let them be out where the birds could find them. I'm sure there is an advantage to having so many birds constantly poking about and peering under things in the veggie garden. I imagine many a slug has been fed to a baby thrasher lately, or a baby robin.

Well we are about to get a dose of high heat here, its supposed to hit 90 sometime later today and we may get some thunderstorms. I'm off to work for the day.

Tomorrow I can enjoy Pokeberry again.

Now there's stumpy it seems he is back in his pot. I suppose I can let him have just that one. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment