Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Birdhouse Gourd Nest!


I've been watching a little bird this morning going back and forth from my squash patch and one of the big gourd birdhouses I put up behind the veggie garden. Looks like there's a serious nest building venture in progress. Better yet--I'm pretty sure its a Carolina Wren! These are among my MOST favorite birds. They sing a super pretty little tune and they eat bugs--what could be better!

Last summer I had a little C. Wren at the last house we lived in. He as my favorite bird guy. I kept a little suet in a dish by the patio door for him and I watched him 'sneak up on it' and stab at the seeds that I mixed into it all winter. Such a joy! Maybe my thrasher fledglings will have company soon patrolling the veggies from bugs. :)

There are a couple of fuzzy babies in our garden now. One of the neighborhood cats has apparently produced kittens. Two of them have been frequenting my garden. I'm not sure what to do about this. I am hoping we can capture them and find homes for them. One is a darling little blue eyed gray baby and the other a black kitty. They seem to be a team. I can't keep a cat in our rented house--we're not allowed. But even if I could--I also have my little parrots and they are decidedly anti-kitty.
oh dear! Well I have a little cage ready and a fishing net--but catching wild kittens is not something you just 'do' any time you feel like it--its tricky business.

1 comment:

  1. It turned out to be a different species of wren, a much smaller little grayish brown wren, not a carolina wren--but all wrens are nice!

    ReplyDelete