Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Early Morning in the Kitchen & Garden.

At one time I was planning to do a series of posts called 'pre-dawn kitchen' I have realized that the sun comes up earlier now--so really I don't work in my kitchen 'pre-dawn' anymore. Also I take my morning walk and do my garden chores BEFORE I work in the kitchen now, so that I can avoid the heat that usually on stronger as the morning progresses.

So-- in any case, its still morning and I am in the process of prepping veggies and cleaning out my fridge. I've already taken my nice 40 minute walk in the neighborhood and done a bit of work in my garden.

I try to get something done every day in my kitchen and garden.

In the garden I watered lightly in the veggies--just lightly cuz I did a good soaking yesterday & I'll have more time tomorrow. I wanted to be sure to also water things that I know dry out fastest--my potted vines mainly.

I also did some spot weed killing. I used Roundup-- I know I'll be getting those 'automated comments' now for using that word. The grass I kept trying to hand weed from my onion patch pretty much won the battle against my poor red onions. The yellow ones held their own and are thriving--except the few that were pulled up by something.

I finally decided to just spray the red onion patch and kill all that darn grass there and use the spot to put my new small sweet pepper plants. I have cubanelle and sweet banana to put in there as my substitute for the bell peppers that don't seem to be doing much.

I saw that my yellow snap beans are coming along nicely and I plan to use those for dinner tomorrow night. We're going to have some mahi-mahi that was on sale this week at Harris Teeter. I'll use the yellow beans along with some green beans I think as a side. After dinner tomorrow night we are in for a treat. My son bought us tickets to the Charlotte Symphony for Father's Day. We are going to see them perform old Led Zepelin songs! I think that will be quite a treat. :)

In the kitchen today--well I'm mainly cleaning out my fridge and prepping every sort of veggie I happen to find in there so it will be easy to grab and eat or cook with. I'm also going to make some fresh salsa to use probably this weekend. An hour spent in the kitchen this morning will make meals & snacks go more easily for several days, probably through the much of the weekend. I use either zip style bags or clear plastic containers from rubbermaid to store pre-prepped veggies. I make sure its all easy to see and I remind folks of what is in there in hopes they will eat all leftovers and nothing will spoil. I also serve veggie sides with meals and remind hubby to take some with him in his lunch--as well as myself on days I take a lunch.

I like to use my laptop in the kitchen cuz it enables me to enjoy a time for writing and looking things up while I work. :)

3 comments:

  1. I love my laptop too...it is nearly attached to my hip! LOL. You have been a devoted walker, and I am jealous of your progress with this! I must do better! I have stayed vetetarian for the most part, which is a big improvement for me...but I need to watch my complex carbs! Glad your yellow beans are doing great. I just read a recipe for a natural weed killer where you mix 1 quart of vinegar and 1 cup of salt and mix well. Spray on what you want to die...but the only problem is that you cannot plant anything there due to the salt left in the ground. Sometimes Round-Up is what you need, gosh darn it!!! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my laptop too...it is nearly attached to my hip! LOL. You have been a devoted walker, and I am jealous of your progress with this! I must do better! I have stayed vetetarian for the most part, which is a big improvement for me...but I need to watch my complex carbs! Glad your yellow beans are doing great. I just read a recipe for a natural weed killer where you mix 1 quart of vinegar and 1 cup of salt and mix well. Spray on what you want to die...but the only problem is that you cannot plant anything there due to the salt left in the ground. Sometimes Round-Up is what you need, gosh darn it!!! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From all I've been able to read the consensus is that roundup used according to directions doesn't harm anything. I've used vinegar and salt too-they do work, so does boiling water. but the problem is its hard to control them and the salt is bad for the soil. Roundup doesn't hurt the soil or the surrounding plants or wildlife. I guess I just use it and I don't say darn it,cuz gosh-- its a great invention! I'm thankful for it!
    And yes I LOVE my laptop. Got it for my last b-day from hubby and its become my 2nd best friend. :)

    ReplyDelete