Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Holes in my Eggplants! and more...




Ah yes, my first harvest this summer... and what do I see?? HOLES! And what bugs are inside? Well, I don't know for sure actually what made the holes, but they were filled with fire ants! Och! I hate fire ants!

Its the only of God's creatures I truly allow myself to 'let go and hate.' YUP--hate.

Anyhoo--I picked the first two Japanese eggplants, soaked them in water with a tad of vinegar, as I do with all my fresh produce, then I rinsed them nicely and cut off the damaged parts. I guess there may still be enough to do something with... I may make an eggplant dip with them.. doing a bit of recipe shuffling as I head toward fully implementing the DASH diet for my blood pressure.

I'm really perturbed cuz there were a few days I didn't inspect the garden well enough and look! look what they did!

ahhh..

The funny thing is there are just tons, and tons of tiny yellow squashes and tomatoes out there, I was so concerned about them that I didn't concentrate attention on the poor lonely only eggplant. :( OOOH I'm mad!

Well, this morning I took a nice 40 minute walk in the neighborhood for the 3rd time this week, and that is good. I get out early when I can so I don't get overheated. We had an amazingly nice windy storm last night with lots of rain--yeah! it cooled us down just slightly--but we likely will be back up to 90 this afternoon. Another favor it did us is drop lots of tree parts which I swept up and used as free mulch already.

Free excercise and free mulch--yippee.

This afternoon I want to head back over that lovely health food store--but not so much for pricey produce. I'm looking for whole grain flours. I sold my old grain grinder a while ago since I really was not using it. Well I'm back to making bread again--but now with my thrift store breadmaker instead of big batches. We don't need that much, and I don't need to be using the big oven in summer anyhow--cuz its plenty hot enough here without that. Soooo I need a place to buy small bags of whole grains--already ground for breadmaking. You can't get that at the Aldi that's for sure. Although if you want white flour--nobody is cheaper than them. I do use that for french and italian bread--and challah. :) (challah's a tad fattening though, so its best reserved for occassional use)

Rose of Sharon is blooming! Its up behind the big holly hedge on my north neighbor's side. He gave me a few starts which I planted near the fence on the south side. Right now it is blooming big pink flowers, I've heard there are several colors coming!

I filled up a big clear plastic container with perlite and vermiculite and I have now 'planted' it full of small shrub cuttings. So far I have in there a yellow cypress shrub, forsythia, 2 types of holly, a spirea, and something yellow and varigated--the name escapes me.. eu_? I am hoping to start several containers of cuttings and once they root transfer to them pots of compost and grow them on--probably in the unused bed behind my garage. When they are big I want to hold a one day plant/rummage sale or else perhaps sell them on Craigslist. Just looking to see how that will go--is it a little side enterprise I can do or no? We shall see.
I'll keep some too, and give some away of course. :)

On my Dash Diet project I filled up a 1/2 gallon mason jar with water and a little sprinkle of True Lemon to 'perk it up'. I put that in the fridge for myself. I need to try to drink 8 glasses of water per day. I figure that's about 1/2 a gallon, so if I fill the bottle each morning and empty it by bedtime--I'm good. :) Of course when I'm at work I'll have to take plastic bottles.

I am trying to figure out a simple way to keep track of the Dash diet--it has so much to it-- its not just counting calories its making sure you get the right amounts of each food. Sooooo I think I may make another one of those little checkbook style notebooks to keep track of what I eat and maybe my exercise and my blood pressure readings. I'm supposed to be monitoring my pressure at home. I have a monitor--but I'll be honest--until I found out my heart had some minor damage to it--I barely ever checked my pressure at home. :( I just don't enjoy that sort of thing--but one must do what one must do.

So-- I am looking to find an easy way to track it all that is portable like my little pricebook. (find the post under the pricebook label)

As for my poor eggplants--there are plenty more on the plant that are fine right now. These two were near the bottom. I sprinkled sevin dust about for the ants this morning and anyplace else I saw crop damage. Gardening is hard hot work--I know--there are plenty of folks with opinions about this--but I'm still semi-organic and I plan to eat more of my crop than I give to the bugs. I do try to minmize it all and use organic choices to some extent--but when push comes to shove --I shove back.

2 comments:

  1. I am wondering what I will have to do to keep my tomatoes from being eaten by something!!! I was able to do all organic last time, but it was cooler weather...now who knows in this heat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think last years drought conditions accompanied by this years wetter spring is kind of boosting some insect populations. Still I'm doing ok here-- but its a job for sure!

    ReplyDelete