Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Out My Window, Gardenias! June 08

This morning I went for a nice walk in the neighborhood, again before the heat. When I returned home I noticed a flower on a shrub beneath my bedroom window. There are three shrubs there that have suffered some neglect, and I wasn't really certain what they were. I have a potted Gardenia that is flowering now and I think it looks so much healthier--darker green--that I didn't even realize these shrubs were the same thing! Oh my goodness! I have 3 more gardenias than I knew about!! How exciting.

I've been just watching a little hummingbird sipping and some finches at the bird bath and feeders. Very pleasant.

It was a little cooler this morning, but not for long, the heat is coming. Its near 80 now, at about 9:15 am.

Yesterday I purchased a small 25 foot 'coil' hoses. I ran my big heavy black hose along the hedge behind to the pool to the garden and there it will stay. I put a small coil hose with my old water wand on the end of the big black hose. Now I can easily walk about the veggies without dragging hose around like an anchor.

On the patio we have another faucett so I will put another coil hose there, with a small watering wand. This is to water all the pots and my arch trellis plantings and the small bed near the patio. No more dragging hose about for me. Its one thing to have to water alot when in extreme heat its another to knock yourself out doing it. :) I think I'll make the patio hose a 50 ft one so it will reach the pool. This is kind of like having a built in watering system--except its alot cheaper. I don't need lawn sprinklers underground anyhow. We're only allowed to use them once a week here in Charlotte--so how hard is it to hook up an old fashioned little sprinkler one day a week?

I'm not the sort of person who craves a no maintenance lawn, I like to walk about and water things myself--and it uses less water when you target it where it is truly needed instead of just spraying everything every day.

So I'm happy with my little system. :)

1 comment: