Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

In Pokeberry Garden, Morning in early June

This morning is warming up quite early. Its 70 and humid already, at about 7:30 in the morning. I imagine it should get quite 'warm' as they say in the south by afternoon. The sky is overcast which is appropriate for a scattered thundershower day. You can't count on one of those scattered storms actually hitting in your area, so the garden must be watered. I water usually in the morning, sometimes if my work day is early I water in the evening. On Sundays I get to use the sprinkler on the lawn, the rest of the week I only water by hand with hoses and water wands. I have hose in the backyard and another in the front. This morning I watered everything well, I expect to be too tired to water tomorrow. Right now I can get away with watering just a few times a week, especially if I use the sprinkler on Sunday. When it starts to be consistenly in the 90s or higher I will have to be hand watering many of my plants daily--especially containers. Many of my container plants are succulents now, or other drought tolerant plants so that helps cut down on plants dying or needing excessive water.

Out in the garden today I noticed that slugs are snacking on my bean plants and aphids on the tomatos--though the aphid problem doesn't seem to have gotten too bad yet. I'm going to stop at the hardware store today and see if I can find some extra tomato stakes, and maybe something I can use to support some beans. I thought my beans were all bush beans, but apparently some were pole beans in the wrong package! These were from a trade I made with someone a year ago. I would also like to get the cucumbers off the ground. When I start to see slugs and aphids, my first thought is that the foliage needs to be up off the ground on some plants, this means I trim the plants, get them staked in some way so they are not crowded with foliage near the dirt. Then I can treat the dirt in a way to discourage bugs climbing up into the plant--slug traps or other thing sto discourage slugs for instance. Also having the plants staked and trimmed means they get better sunshine and air flow and I can knock some bugs off with my hose more easily or see damage signs more quickly. Usually I find my crops are bigger this way too.

So I will some things to do in the garden later this week when I'm not working. Today and tomorrow I work at my job so I'm not doing much extra.

At the moment a little titmouse is poking about in a pot of geraniums, I think hes a baby. I have just chased a kitty out of the yard, just in time to prevent it coming upon the baby thrashers which have now ventured all the way across the yard and seem to be getting about quite well, though they still have that 'dopey--I'm a baby' look about them. A pretty yellow gold finch is on the thistle feeder and the pool looks so inviting with colorful rafts floating on the water.

Over the fence, last night our neighbor to the south inquired about our pool--where we got it, what it cost and how much the water cost. I guess it just looks tempting to them. So they will be getting their own soon. We're going to lend them our lazer sighting equipment so they can level the ground easily. I like to have good terms with neighbors when possible. There's a nice give and take with co-workers and neighbors in my life that I enjoy. Yesterday I had a nice outing with a co-worker, we went antique shopping--we didn't buy but it was fun. I told her we should go to an auction sometime--they always have much better prices. Well, my neighbor to the south is an auctioneer, so he will tip us off when he has his next auction, sometime after July 4 and we can go to that one! Fun!

While I was in the garden, I looked at my 6 pots of pampas grass and thought of my co-worker that I was out with yesterday. We stopped at her house and I saw her gardening efforts. Her home is newer and is built on extremely rocky soil with no shade to speak of yet. I gave her a potten baby magnolia yesterday that I was given by another gardener--I had hoped to have a place to plant it by now, but since we are still renting I gave it to my friend so it can get out of the pot and stretch its roots. Eventually it will give her some much needed shade. I was thinking she maybe would like my pampas grass-- or at least some of it, and maybe I can propagate some extra succulents for her--as that is what she needs on her land. She has alot of space to fill in and it is all going to be fairly dry, so these I think would help her out. I love to share garden bounty and I love to 'solve problems' when I see them. Its just a blast!

I'll have to see when she is coming to work and if I can bring her some gifts there. :)

God is good to me, I want to be good to others as well.

One thing I enjoyed this morning, while I was out watering in the front yard, for a moment I paused and looked up and just watched a mocking bird perched on a wire over my driveway. The birds here speak peace to my soul so much. I love the gentle humidity of the south, early in the morning, it feels like a garden should feel. Of course later in the day it won't be so pleasant. It reminds me of the lyrics of an old Cat Stevens song that we used in our wedding.

Morning has broken, like the first morning
Blackbird has spoken, like the first bird
Praise for the singing, praise for the morning
Praise for the springing fresh from the word

Sweet the rain's new fall, sunlit from heaven
Like the first dewfall, on the first grass
Praise for the sweetness of the wet garden
Sprung in completeness where his feet pass

Mine is the sunlight, mine is the morning
Born of the one light, Eden saw play
Praise with elation, praise every morning
God's recreation of the new day

1 comment:

  1. I like to do things with co-workers also, and share plants, seeds, etc. Antiquing is fun! We have a great auction where they auction off whole households of stuff...and you are so right about the prices...and an auction is so much fun! I adore Cat Stevens! I keep thinking I must get CD of all his hits!

    ReplyDelete