Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Veggie Storage Experiment

When I prepped my vegetables yesterday, I put them all in zip top bags. I then took a fork and poked a few holes near the top 1/4 of each bag on both sides. I've always had this thought it isn't air getting in that spoils veggies, its gas unable to escape. My working theory here is that if I ventilate these bags a little bit I may get a little more shelf life from my veggies. So my goal is that whatever we haven't completely eaten by Monday will still be in edible condition. I'll post my experiment results. I have seen a variety of methods to to store veggies longer and they all seem to be concerned with the build up of gasses from the veggies themselves. So lets see if this works--wouldn't it be great?

Some of the grocery stores now sell brands of fresh veggies already prepped for use, cleaned and chopped with no preservatives. Apio is one of the brands. The idea in the Apio bags is that they have a ventilation 'patch'. So my thought is wouldn't a few holes work too? We shall see. If it works I'll be very thankful because Pokeberry Garden is beginning to produce and you know how gardens are--they usually have a period where you have way too much of something. Wouldn't it be nice to keep it fresh a little bit until its time to use it or preserve it?

3 comments:

  1. A lot of veggies keep best wrapped in a wet dishtowel in the fridge - kale and other green leafies, parsnips among them. There's a book called "How to store your produce" or some such that we've found useful.

    The pictures on your site are gorgeous!

    Moti.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that tip! I will see if I can get that book through my library. I've usually had pretty good luck with cleaning & spinning lettuce--I usually sprinkle a little lemon in the water I clean it with--it usually keeps plenty long for me. I wonder if the damp towel would work on Japanese eggplant or summer squashes..hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well--so far all the stuff lasted great--except the lettuce. I think the lettuce was old though. :( That's one its hard for me to tell in stores. I think I need to stick to buying it at Harris Teeter, cuz the stores I can walk to seem to be always disappointing me. Can't wait til fall when I grow my own again.. wait-- maybe I can wait til fall--lovin' summer!

    ReplyDelete