Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Monday, June 30, 2008

You Never Know about Harvesting..

Well, we leave for our mini vacation on Thursday. I'll be working 8 hours tomorrow and I'll have off Wednsday--but my garden is producing copious amounts of food that I don't think will wait til next week for canning. I am thinking this is so much how it goes when you garden. You just never know. Today my tomatoes are so heavy that one of my big deeply planted wooden stakes literally broke and fell. I am going to need more stakes and to make some chicken wire cages I think.

I'm thinking on Wednsday I will try to can everything I can that is ripe or throw it in the freezer. When we come home Sunday I will need to squeeze in more cannning/freezing time because I am not going to be able to do it for several days after that. I have decided it is ok to do a very small canner load if need be. There's no reason not to quickly boiling water bath 2 or 3 jars of tomatoes if that is all you have ready.

I'm learning more and more about gardening and food preserving and shortcuts and doing small batches makes more sense to me than ever. Why not?

Why not? Why not at least can the tomatoes--they can be made into anything later on--maybe a sauce, maybe a salsa, maybe part of a rice or pasta dish.

Last night I handed some of my eggplants over the fence again--this time to my south side neighbors, the wife is greek and has several favorite eggplant recipes--so she will appreciate them.

I am glad we are getting away a few days--we will meet some relatives we don't get to see often and its a good thing. But I do wish my veggies would have waited just a little longer!

2 comments:

  1. You know I only got one tomato on each plant...one yellow, and one red tomato...and they will probably both be ready to pick while we wre gone also! I had to bring the plants into my screenroom due to heat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a bad tomato year last year. I think the 10/10/10 and lime I used helped this year. funny how unpredictable it can be. My biggest fussy plants since we moved south are bell peppers--they make me nuts!

    ReplyDelete