Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Evil Beasties! Fire Ants...

Ugh! I took some photos but you can't see the nasty things so I won't post them. I went out to hoe some more in my garden, there's crabgrass to be dug out, something I've been working on here and there. Anyhow--I have been trying to get rid of fire ants in our yard and garden, but its just pretty much hopeless. The first place I dug my hoe into was a fire ant nest apparently, containing thousands of tiny evil beasties. The ants here don't always build a mound, sometimes you can barely tell they are there. I didn't look and before I knew it they had climbed my hoe and were crawling into my gloves. I looked down and the ground and there were thousands of them swarming about looking for blood.

Sigh.. there's some things about gardening that are NOT pretty. I seem to have managed to get away with only one bite-- amazing. I've gotten good at moving quick when I feel their wicked presence. I squished several in my gloves and checked my feet, put my hoe down and ran and grabbed my bag of sevin dust. I know this stuff isn't going to cure the problem long term-- but I'm thinking at least I get to kill about a thousand and for me that's a satisfying feeling. No mercy to fire ants!

Most insects I can see a redeeming quality somewhere, but these guys I cannot. I think anyone who says they are anything but a curse is nuts. End of rant. :)

2 comments:

  1. We woke up this morning to find our kitchen overrun with ants. We don't know where they suddenly came from (and they're not fire ants, thankfully) but they were all over the sink and counter! Yuk! DW freaks out when this happens and reaches for the spray, and much as I would like to do everything au natural when she's like that I try to stay out of her way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's wise of you. For 'normal' ants in the house--get 'terro' you just use a little tiny bit and it works. For fire ants--all bets are off just figure out some way to murder them--hopefully painfully.

    ReplyDelete