Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Hangin Out with Frugal Folk

I've made some good friends at work. I don't spend alot of time with my friends--mainly working together, but occassionally a little more--maybe a trip to share a lunch, or check out something like a garden or a salvage yard/thrift store. We have common ideas. We are all working toward getting to retirement without being in debt and having a secure place to live and also helping our kids--as much as have the ability--to 'see' things more wisely and make good choices.

Some of us garden, some of us do alot of scratch cooking. Most of us shop around for deals, appreciate what's good at Aldis, use Craigs list, appreciate 2nd hand stuff and would be absolutely ahast at the idea of shopping at South Park Mall.

I think it is wonderful to have friends who 'get it' when it comes to living a frugal or semi-frugal life. You don't have to impress them, they will compliment your 'new outfit' from the thrift store, and ask how you keep it looking so bright and new. They appreciate that there are laundry secrets and want to know yours.

Good friends will walk with you, pray for you, always 'interpret' your actions in a good light. They are the salt of the earth and the spice of life.

Here in Pokeberry, my good frugal friends are treasured and appreciated beyond measure.

4 comments:

  1. You may be a bit more frugal than I am. I have to admit...
    But I keep trying to do better! It is nice to have friends who think the same way you do. Hey...I discovered an antique mall today, and saw some beautiful old aprons and thought of you wearing one in Pokeberry, pickin your beans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny' I don't wear aprons much cuz they make me look fatter I think--sort of like my hat. ;)

    I have a pattern though for an antique apron. I wrote an essay once on my gramma's 'pocket apron' which she used to carry in a shopping bag with her 'house shoes and rags' to come clean house for my mom on Fridays. Mom worked full time and gramma would take the bus over to clean for her and make a nice dinner on Fridays. she was in her 80s! I think I should post about her sometime for my 'women to imitate' series. I haven't written one of those in a while. What an impact her example made on my young mind! I will always think of her when I think of aprons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh--and btw-- you notice that Pokeberry is 'semi' frugal. I like to cut the corners as often as possible--but I will still enjoy my share of little treats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Grandma certainly was an inspiration! What a gal, doing that work at that age!

    I like your new look on the blog! Just wanted tot hank you for mentioning the FRUGAL 15...I think I will try turnips this year...for the tops and bottoms!!! GRAND idea! We like to make turnip fries in the oven!

    ReplyDelete