Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Sunday, July 20, 2008

In Pokeberry This Morning




Like most mornings around here, I was up early and busy getting things going. I made coffee, fed my pet parrots, had breakfast and did a load of dishes, washed, dried & folded some towels and washed & hung the lights and darks out to dry in the sunshine. I went out and watered the garden before it starts to get hot out. While out there I picked a yellow squash, but didn't pick anything else cuz we still have company and we were planning to not eat at home today, so I left things to ripen another day or two. However, I just got a call and I guess plans have changed so we probably will be eating here, with our guests. So I may mosey on out there and look for something more to pick.

I took some closeup style photos of some of the plants--wild and intentional-- that are so pretty right now in Pokeberry Garden.

When I'm done typing this up I'm planning to go out and take a dip in the pool and sit a while on the carport patio with "Mama Dip's Family Cookbook" by Mildred Council. This is a book I picked up at the library I work at. I've already read another book about Mama Dip-- she runs a southern country style restaurant in Chapel Hill. She is so inspiring! She started her first restaurant in the 1970's with about $65, $40-something for the first days groceries and the rest to make change.

Incredible? I'm not so sure, it seems there are quite a few unique old fashioned start up businesses here and there in the Carolinas, I'm very much in awe of that. Anyone that can take less than a hundred dollars and build it into a nice business like Mama Dip has done has my admiration. I'm also enjoying reading her recipes and her simple pantry list and how to's. I am a big fan of cook books. I bring some home every week from work and while I don't always try the recipes I do read from them. You can learn so much reading a cookbook, especially one like this has also has a story attached to it. One of the things I inherited from one of my gramma's was her cookbook and that was just what I wanted.

I'm so intrigued with home businesses and entrepreurship, as is my hubby and some of our kids. I just don't know what sort of business would be right for us though. One thing I have in mind for myself is 'little businesses' that provide small streams of income. A little this, a little that. I've started some cuttings of shrubs that I hope to eventually sell either at a yard sale here or on Craig's list. At one time I sold on ebay--sometimes things I'd bought at auctions, sometimes my own artwork. I know me enough to know that I have varied interests and would probably not enjoy only doing one thing--like a restaurant. I just like to turn my hand where my interests lie and glean a bit here and there. But that's just me.

Well off I go now, need to maybe pick some beans or something and take a dip, then settle down with Mama Dip & some coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment