Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Friday, July 25, 2008

My Kitchen Smells Like an Italian Restaurant!




Well, those lovely tomatoes from my garden have been Vitamix'd and cooked down and are now about 50% cooked down. There's a whole lotta water in Tomatoes, which is one reason Roma or Paste Tomatoes are usually used in sauces, they have a little more 'meat' in them. Anyhoo.. when I got done Vita-mixing my 'maters, I had enough sauce to fill 2 stock pots more than half way. That was about noon today. Its been just about 2 hours and I've poured one pot into the other and have the dishwasher going so there's little sign that I had a big project going on in my kitchen today. Tonight I plan to make some pasta sauce of some of the homemade sauce using some chicken sausage and maybe adding in some fresh garden yellow squash or chopped tomatoes. I'll sweeten and flavor the sauce a little more--add some herbs and spices and some sugar to 'cut the acid' (I usually put about a tablespoon of sugar in a quart of sauce). This will be a yummy dinner and the leftovers will be lunch tomorrow. There will be extra in the pot though--that I plan to freeze in freezer bags. We'll use it up within a month or maybe two so I won't bother with the boiling water bath this time. I had planned that at first, but decided it wasn't needed with only 21 pounds of tomatoes.

Well the kitchen smells very good! I've kept a good watch over my pots, there's been no scorching and they've been bubbling along very nicely. Can't wait to share this garden bounty with the family in a few hours. ~smile~

No comments:

Post a Comment