Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Scratch Cooking VS. Couponing...

This is something that has been just kind of bugging me for awhile. I keep finding this topic discussed like its a debate. I don't see it as an either/or thing. I don't understand why a person who likes to do some scratch cooking would be against also using coupons or vice versa. You don't have chuck the one to do the other!

I guess its my 'semi' frame of mind. I call it 'moderation'. I am not a ONLY do this or ONLY do that person. I like to do 'all things in moderation' that are useful to me. I find couponing useful for many things and I find scratch style cooking useful and gardening and freezing and canning --all that stuff.

I don't think there's a right or wrong about it or a 'more better'. In my mind right and wrong has to do with things like stealing and lying and cheating and killing NOT choosing what works best for you when it comes to buying groceries or cooking. Just wanted to get that off my little chest, ~smile~

6 comments:

  1. I guess you know I come down squarely on the side of scratch cooking in this debate. I look at the coupons in the paper but don't use them much - sometimes for cereal, or I might buy this or that brand of cottage cheese because I have a coupon. Most of the things coupons are offered on are corporate foodstuffs that we really don't eat - overprocessed, high in HFCS and hydrogenated fats, overpackaged and over-advertised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well.. that's ok I won't kick you off for that. ;)
    Actually I like scratch cooking too--but I'm not the only one cooking here. Also-- we use coupons for all kinds of things--like shampoo, shaving cream, dish soap.. etc.. Also I'm not anti corporate cuz well--we all need jobs and most of us work for corporations. Me--I have a cushy government job but hubby depends on a corporation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually--I don't use every coupon I find--but now that I'm thinking about this more-- I'm not sure what HFCS is. I don't buy hydrogentated fats, trans fats if that's what you mean. Actually they've been taken out of most of the foods I've been seeing lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok--last comment.. I think I need to look into this more and write on it later. I just realized you meant corn syrup. duh. I'm reading a book called 'food politics' right now, interesting. Personally I think the reason folks are fat--self included is eating more calories than you burn, plus some genetic factors--plus some factors to do with not knowing which are better choices always. got me thinking now.. I'll have to keep studying and write later--but I'm not sure I see the connection with coupons as most of the ones I use are for non-food. NOT all though. I do buy some foods that are convenient.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As long as you're doing research, read Michael Pollan's new book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to try.. I'm in a bit deep with books right now--but I will certainly try.

    ReplyDelete