Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Friday, July 25, 2008

Tomatoes to Dinner.. YUM!


Here's our dinner tonite! Homemade pasta sauce made from home grown tomatoes mixed with delicoius chicken/spinach/asiago cheese sausages (ala Sam's club) and served over tasty little Gemelli pasta shapes purchased with coupons using Grocery Game, all topped off with Parmesan. To spice up my homemade sauce I added sugar, a bit more onion, and various pizza spices. It was thick and rich and very fresh tasting!

This was a true hit-- in a couple days--I will show you what has been done with the rest of my tomatoe sauce, its an easy way to freeze sauces that I have used in the past. I learned this trick from a book called Make Your Own Groceries by Daphne Hartwig, which is one of my all time favorite cookbooks --ever.

I've had a copy of her cookbook for many years, I got it at a thrift store once after having checked it out many times at the library. This book has so many great scratch cooking ways to save money and yet enjoy really good food that I was thrilled to run across it in a thrift store. My copy has been beat to a pulp nearly, one of these days I need to get a new one. (a new old one)

3 comments:

  1. Oh, your dinner looks wonderful...and I bet tasted devine! You tomotoes are just gorgeous!!! You are having too much fun with all your vegies!!!
    LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary! Check out this website: http://www2.harvesteating.com/recipe-view.cfm?recipe=287&ClickedFromPosition=8

    This should take you to a tomato pie recipe which when I saw it, I immediately thought of you with all of your tomatoes! The whole site is so neat, with recipes for every season, and videos galore! If it doesn't take you there, just go to HarvestEating.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Julie-- doesn't that look good? Sort of a fancy type of pizza. Yum..

    ReplyDelete