Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Fire Ants in My HOUSE!!!

I came home from work last night to find the 'night shift' of a fire ant colony had invaded our home. They were coming from a corner in the living room, apparently from behind the woodwork. :( They followed along the wall in a long train to a certain point and from there began to spread out, heading under our little area rug and just looking basically for anything that might have been dropped on the floor that could be torn up and carried back to the nest. I suppose they have a nest under the house someplace.

Anyhow hubby remarked that he'd just had a conversation over the fence, that very day, with one of the neighbors who told him that he'd gotten ants in the house. I shuddered to think of it as they have a baby--I just could not handle fire ants in my house if I had a baby! Anyhow he said he put out little ant bait traps and that it had done the job.

Well-- being that I'm one of those shoppers who 'stocks up' on things when they are on sale and I have a coupon, I actually did have a set of 4 ant bait traps in my 'stash'. So I got them out and hubby tore off two of them and we set them in two spots along the ant trail. I then got out my vaccuum cleaner and sucked up every ant I could find that was not in that 'line' on which the ant bait traps had been placed. (btw--I think vacuuming ants is possibly a little fun, though not as entertaining as leaf blowing them across the patio)

Anyhow, its morning now and I checked the progress of my ant bait. The day shift is working along the perimeter of the living room, there are remarkably less ants this morning than there were last night--however--still too many for me. :(

I am seeing that the ants do indeed seem to be going into the little bait traps and bringing out bait. The idea is that they will then take it back to the nest and feed it to each other, including the queen, and hopefully wipe out the whole colony. Probably better than one of the organic methods I heard of--orange juice! I'm not about to pour juice on a brand new hardwood floor! And I did try baby powder outside already--does not work.

Anyhow--for regular ants in the house I used to use something called terro, when we lived in Wisconsin. I don't know how that would work with fireants, but since I have these bait thingys I'm trying them first. I'll be sure to post how it works out. I Hope it works very quickly because I am very uncomfortable with this current situation here. Fire Ants do NOT belong in the house!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment