Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Hawks and Kitties..

In Pokeberry this morning I saw a little cat crossing the yard. She had come from the tall holly hedge where so many of my feathery friends hide nests and fledglings. She had something in her mouth--I'm sure a bird-- whatever sort it was, it was a larger one. Perhaps it was the dopey little cardinal that landed on the pool cover last night or the baby thrasher that still wants to be fed by mama? I don't know. Whatever/whoever it was kitty has taken it off behind the garage, possibly over the fence.

There are an awful lot of birds in my neighborhood--really amazing for a big city. Charlotte has got to be the greenest big city I've ever seen. I suppose it only makes sense that there are also predators about. There are dozens of kittys that roam free here and also quite a few hawks.

I am not a vegetarian, I eat my share of birds, so I know I can't be angry at cats and hawks for what they do. Its what they do. Still, sort of makes me sad to see a bird killed, I've seen several hawk kills now and I did try to chase kittys away this summer--which never works for long. They just come back. They know there's a feeder here and lots of nests, so of course they come. I could say I wish folks would keep their cats in the house--but I once had a cat and I know how they are--if they have once ever been out--they will get out again. Likely at the expense of your nerves should you try to thwart them. Ah well. Pokeberry still seems as peaceful as ever, in the quiet of a rainy morning.

There's much more awful awful in the world than kitty catching a bird. Thankfully, there's also much more happy things to dwell on as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment