Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Friday, August 8, 2008

Kitchen Experiment--Microwave Steaming with a Paper Bag

For lunch today I had a steamed potato and some steamed green/yellow snap beans. Super easy to do. I washed my potato and put it in a paper lunch bag, I then ran the bag under the sink just enough to get it damp. Microwave 4 minutes.

When that was done I set it on a plate, leaving it in bag while I did my beans.
I took my cleaned beans and put them in a cereal bowl and drizzled a bit of olive oil over them. I then generously sprinkled them with Mrs. Dash original spice mix (you can use anything you like) I then stirred them a little to coat and dumped them into yet another brown paper bag. I rinsed the little bowl out and dampened the paper bag again. This time I set the bag in the rinsed bowl and put both in the microwave--again 4 minutes--this was a nice size handful of beans.

When the beans were done I lifted the bag which burst-- reason for bowl underneat--and then emptied them onto my plate.

I unwrapped my potato and sat down to a little fresh beans & tates lunch. YUM!

The reason I did this is I usually steam in my bamboo steamer --but for just me-- I though why do that? I wanted something disposable for quick use. I didn't have anymore of those new fangled plastic microwave steaming bags on hand. I thought--why would I need them? I've done potatoes in damp paper towel and bags before--why not beans?

No good reason I can think of and one paper bag is a LOT cheaper than a ziptop plastic steam bag. And I think it actually did a better job. Yum.

3 comments:

  1. Not to mention much better for the environment! Cool idea...I must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't help noticing that on your reading list you have Nourishing Traditions listed. Please look at page 68, 356, 422, 424, and 523. You'll think I'm nuts, but I threw my microwave out just yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First--I do not think you are nuts. One of my very BEST friends over the years (many years ;)) did that too. I feel about "Nourishing Traditions" the same as I do about most books, blogs, websites, tv news, studies etc... take it in--apply it to your own knowledge base and make your own decisions. And of course--research further too..

    I still use a microwave and I like it for
    'quick cooking' probably not every day. I can put a book on my reading list and NOT neccesarily agree with all it says. :) LOVE that freedom!

    ReplyDelete