Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Local Growing in Alaska

Well in answer to my own question earlier I've found some blogs that talk about sustainable/local/organic etc.. gardening in Alaska, and Alaskan Farmer's Markets. Yes you can grow things in Alaska-- you do limit yourself though if you only eat what you can get local there, and it is not possible to get local produce everywhere in Alaska--but there's some available and I think its kind of cool.

This morning we did go to the Spokane Market and Hubby enjoyed buying some corn and watermelon from a local producer--he said he felt good supporting a local grower. I do too--

just making that clear.

I do think though I would not try to rely only on local grown stuff ONLY in any location--unless I had to.

I guess I think -- why insist on local? Citrus fruit in Alaska--is a healthful and enjoyable thing isn't it? And its got to be good for the folks who grow the citrus to be able to sell it far away.

Just a thought. I'm adding some Alaska Growing Blogs to my favorite Blogs.

2 comments:

  1. The only thing is if we buy local, we save on shipping costs in the long run. I think restaurants are trying to do this much more now also due to high cost of gas.

    Thanks for your comments on my blog...it is so exciting to have a new grandchild! I know you can hardly wait also!!! Only thing is...you have to keep on working to spoil them rotten! LOLOL. (I can only dream of retiring)!

    Keep having a ton of fun out here, Mary!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny thing though--when you buy local foods usually they cost more than other foods. The Seattle market's origins were in a time when folks wanted local produce sold by the farmers to cut out the cost of the middlemen. Now locally grown foods are touted as solutions to gas prices and yet you often find they are not less expensive and that you have to drive 'you' further to get them--Hopefully in the future it will all become more efficient, but right now I don't think it is.

    ReplyDelete