Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Plastic Dish Tubs, Under Sink Flooding..

I was greeted this morning by a plugged up drain in my kitchen. Yup--complete with leaking pipe. Normally, being a cautious sort of gal, I keep my undersink things in a plastic dish tub. Well--about a week ago--there having never been a leak from the pipes since we moved in, I needed my plastic dish tub for a chore I was doing and took it out. I remember thinking as I did it, "you're asking for it". Sure enough everything down there got soaked in the deluge and I had the pleasure of cleaning up a yucky mess before coffee time--and having hubby come fix the pipe before he headed to work.(we all know how much guys like that--although to his credit--he didn't even mutter)

Well I've wiped it all out now with bleach water and a fan is running to dry it well. Everything that goes back in will be in a plastic dish tub or old icecream bucket.

This post is basically a tribute to the lowly plastic dish tub.

I use plastic dish tubs for all sorts of things. When the kids were homeschooling I used to sort curriculum/homework/assignments in them and keep them on a bookshelf. These days I often use them to start seeds for my garden. I have holes drilled in several of them for drainage. They last forever and hold a good amount of plants and are not flimsy. They can also be washed out well. I don't go out and buy 'flats' to start seeds. I also use dish tubs for garage storage. Hubby uses them for things in his work area. When we had to be very careful with water use years ago--our well pump had died-- we used them to wash dishes so we could use the gray water to flush toilets. (*Note:this actually went on for 3 weeks! I learned just how fragile society could be after that little episode. Turn off the tap a few weeks and you'll understand.)

I have often found dish tubs in rummage sales and thrift stores or at dollar stores. I find new ones for about a dollar in dollar stores, used ones usually go for 25cents in rummage sales. I've never wrecked one, my first 4 tubs came from hospitals where I had given birth to my babies--so that means I've got at least one that is over 25 years old. :) Baby #1 will be 26 this fall.

They don't have lids but its amazing all the things you can do with a plastic dish tub. They're right up there with duck tape on my semi-frugal Pokeberry 'good stuff' list.

So what's to be learned today?

1. Never store anything under the sink without a waterproof container underneath it--a dish tub is good.

2. plastic dish tubs are cheap and super useful, keep some on hand and don't borrow the one from under the sink or you will have a flood.

1 comment:

  1. LOLOL...Love the LESSONS LEARNED! Isn't this always the way...crap! Glad you got it fixed right quick and all is well. I am with you on dish tubs...they are very valuable over the years!

    ReplyDelete