Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Thousand Dollar Chunks and Hundred Dollar Chunks..

Just thinking, I opened a few medical bills this morning and it added up to nearly a thousand dollars. This is 'after' our good insurance. Sigh.. Well the good news is I think this is the last of it from all the tests I've had this summer. Hope so anyhow. Also good news--nothing serious enough wrong that I need any new meds or surgeries or to be picking out a plot. Just enough to be annoying. I guess maybe its worth it to know that. ??

Other chunks lately, helping family on the early end of life or the latter end of life-- that kind of looms over us just now--thinking of what we can/should do to help in those areas, probably just hundred dollar chunks right now.

Then of course my car wouldn't start this morning--not to worry I think-- I think it just needs a battery or a charging. HOPE!

I did get a letter in the mail telling me the warrantee is about to expire on it and asking if I'd like to re-up. I'm not sure. Hubby does all the work on it--I don't know what the warrantee gets us. Its over 10 years old anyhow, and so far it runs pretty good--except this one time...

Well sheesh.

We're looking at a couple different options for money/housing now. One is maybe Hubby can take in some contract work as a 2nd job to try to save more $$$ for a home. Or maybe we'll still find a fixer upper to buy. Right now we're considering mobile homes again.

I have a crazy idea--what if we got a mobile for he & I and an old used RV for adult children? Can you park your college age kids in the driveway? Hmm....

Its a bit of a rainy day here, we've had lots of rain lately. Hope that means the water bill will go down. (LOL-not likely)

I was out in the garden and picked some tomatoes and peppers and made some fresh salsa for the weekend. I also have a nice big crockpot of Minestroni going-- oh boy that's gonna be good! There's pasta salad in the fridge that I made yesterday. So--all these goodies are prepared for munching. I'm working tonite and all day tomorrow. I like having a head start like that. Hubby cooks too, but I think lately he's been cooking more than me, so I was happy to do up some soup and salad to give him a break.

This weekend we may find time to go house hunting a little. We consider things we find that we can buy outright with what we've got saved up or that we could get a very small loan on and pay off quickly. So far we've been looking over a year and have almost bought 2 times. We think there is a possible thing out there for us--but that likely it will be an 'adventure' when we finally do it. Just need to keep looking. The more I think about it--unless we find a way to get up a big chunk of cash we can't buy in the neighborhood we're in. We could--but we are realizing more and more as life goes on that if we don't have to pay a big chunk for housing--we'll have more chunks left for all the other expenses of life. The thousand dollar chunks and the hundred dollar chunks. There always seems to be one around the corner. I think we both feel like we'll be happier as we are aging if we aren't always feeling pressed financially. We don't need a beautiful home--we can make something ugleee into something beautiful in time.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you...we have a small house with a low payment and we do have money for other things, and all the CHUNKS that come along! I am so much happier than others in my family who opted for a huge expensive house, and have nearly lost their homes a few times now, and have been under financial strain for years. Good luck with your house hunting...I am praying you will find a perfect dream home in your perfect price range! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just think that if I had to do it over--and I was young again. I'd have stopped at the first house. We have 'owned' 3 mortgaged houses in our lives. We could have owned 2 of them outright by now. Instead--we are renting because on that last one--we didn't know unemployment and downgrading of income was coming. We expected 'more' but after 9-11 and the dotcom bubble and whatever caused it--things changed.

    If we had been content in house 1 or 2--we'd be set for life. funny. Now we can't see ourselves affording either of those again.

    ReplyDelete