Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Freezer/ Fridge/Pantry Soup-- Mexican Chorizo Black Bean Chicken Soup...

Here's whats brewing in Pokeberry this morning--oh my goodness this smells too good.

1 onion chopped (from those onions my frugal friend Sondra advised me to start keeping in the fridge -it works Sondra! Thank you!)

4 cups green, red, yellow bell peppers and onions (about a 1 # bag of frozen stir fry mix bought at rock bottom, and found on freezer bottom-- oops!guess that one almost got away from me!)

4 ½ cups diced or crushed tomatoes (I used a little more than a dozen of my frozen romas from my garden)

1 and a half cups salsa (I had a jar of store-bought salsa on hand that I bought really cheap w/coupons on sale. We like fresh salsa so I only buy this stuff for cooking--when I get a deal its handy especially if I don't happen to have any fresh in the fridge)

2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped up. (these are from a can I opened almost a month ago, I froze the leftovers in little 2 or 3 pepper packs so they are great to add some smoke and heat!)

1 11 ounce can of Mexican Style Corn from Aldi

1 15.5 ounce can of Black Beans (I need to get some dry black beans and start using those soon--that's a frugal idea that could really save some $$$)

1 stick of Mexican Style Sausage -Chorizo Hot-- from Aldi (freezer cleanout)
2 cups of leftover grilled chicken in small chunks, (from Monday night's grilled chicken--delish.)

1 handful of cilantro chopped (from my green bag experiment--and STILL fresh!)

1 teaspoon of True Lime--or use Lime juice-- or squeeze on fresh lime

½ teaspoon of granulated garlic--or use 2 cloves of minced fresh garlic

½ teaspoon of cumin

2 teaspoon of chili powder

5 cups soup stock or broth from chicken or a combination of chicken and pork or vegetable if you prefer-make it from fresh stock or use canned - or I like to use a soup base.

5 cups water

Salt and pepper to taste--we use lots of pepper, Hubby is one of those guys who thinks everything should taste like pepper.


Directions -- I cut up my onions and peppers first and sautéed them in a little olive oil in my big Stock Pot until I could start to smell the flavor rising. I wish I had thought to put the choriza sausage in the pot at that time too -- next time..

Add all your other ingredients to the pot

Bring it to a boil

Turn the heat down to low and simmer for an hour or two. I usually keep a vented lid on my soup when its simmering, it doesn't evaporate as much and I can still smell it cooking. :)

Tips:
At dinner time add some fresh homemade tortilla crisp strips. Just deep fry some corn tortilla strips at 360 degrees til they just start to get a little bit brown on the edges. Drain and add to soup.

I always cut strips and chips from the corn tortillas that I usually buy at Aldi. Homemade salsa and chips would go well with this as well, I still have enough cilantro to make some salsa so I will see if there are tomatoes in the garden for that! (isn’t the south fabulous? Fresh tomatoes in October! Cool!) Salad would be good also.

Anytime I make soup I cool it in a tub or large canner of ice water before refrigerating. At that time I usually take a few containers and some saran wrap and freeze a few lunch portions for work days.

* this is a big kettle of soup today-- this recipe could easily be halved. I may end up freezing a little more than I usually do. Smells good cooking!!

4 comments:

  1. Oh--you can make those fried tortilla crisps ahead and keep them in a zip top bag--they will stay fresh for a long time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sounds great I have had chorizo before but never with those other ingredients it looks great if you need more recipes or if you want to take a look at the collection of tips I have for grilling you can visit http://www.cookingandgrillinoutdoors.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hubby loved this soup! He said its not pretty but its delicious. :) I think the not pretty was caused by the sausage, I think it was a little oily so it sort of made a messy little film on top. I think perhaps I'll be able to skim that off tomorrow. In any case it was very good. :)

    ReplyDelete