Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Think Before You Buy- A Pokeberry Best Practice

I think before I buy-and this means subjecting the item I might want to buy to my usual 'test' process. I do some research to find out the real costs and benefits and also consider 'why' I want the item and if I really need it or could use something else for the same purpose--especially something I already have.

For several days I've been mulling over three possible purchases.

1. Start a new embroidery project using new materials. Problem: I already have alot of embroidery materials--just for a different type of stitching. Why do this: Mainly just because I'm kind of 'in the mood' to try Mountmellick. A flag goes up here! 'The mood' can be a budget buster--I've learned that--I try not to let my moods rule my pockets. A good way to do that is to WAIT--often moods will change anyhow, and if not I don't think I have to let my 'mood' dictate to my pockets.

2. Purchase a Y membership or a trial membership in order to get water exercise for my stiff back and joints. Why: Oh I just wake up so stiff and think how nice it would feel to be in a pool right now, moving about freely.. sigh... Problem: A Y membership is an ongoing investment. I don't need it for about half the year when I can use my own backyard pool. I can take my usual walks and I can make use of my TV to find programs to exercise along with. No I won't get to enjoy the weightless water exercise right now, but winter isn't that long here I can wait. Even stretching without water will help my back and joints feel better.

3. Invest in a pressure canner. Why A pressure canner? I think this is an item that would save me more money than it will cost. I have researched well and concluded that the best deal for me, barring finding one 2ND hand, would be to purchase a 16 qt Presto from Walmart online and have it shipped free to our local store for pick up. I'm almost 100% sure I'll do this. I can list the pros for this decision and really there is not much that I see as a downside.

If I have a larger garden next year--or any year--I will be able to process everything not just tomatoes, I can also take better advantage of fresh produce or meats that go on sale at the store or local farmers markets.

I will be able to free up space in my chest freezer by canning some of the meat and poultry thus allowing room for more vegetables--especially the type I like for steaming and stir frying.

My above fridge freezer could also be freed up some if I were to can some of our leftovers: soups & chili especially. This would mean I could store homemade soup and chili and never have to buy store bought. *Homemade would be healthier as well.

If we experienced a power outage I would have a means to save the contents of my freezer--One prolonged power outage could cost me hundreds of dollars that this $62.75 investment would prevent. Freezer insurance!

Safety-- if I had a pressure canner I would not have to worry about Hubby being 'creative' with boiling water bath canning. Pressure canners do have their own dangers--but I think he will appreciate that and follow the directions--especially cuz its a 'cool gadget' and that's just a guy thing. ;) What is different here though is that pressure canners can safely can ANY recipe. It is not needed to be sure the acid is correct in the recipe. So--this could be peace of mind insurance for me, and possibly life insurance for him.


Because of these factors--I've got a smaller canner in mind to do small batch canning. It won't be hard to store or so heavy I have to wrestle with it--and it will be inexpensive. This is pretty close to a 'done' decision--I'm just making sure I can't find a deal locally first--but I think I'm going to do this.

This is how semi-frugal decisions get made. I like to let things simmer a bit and chew on them. I've been pondering all three of these things for several days now. I have done all my research and my mulling--I have a good idea what the real costs are and the real benefits and IF there are alternate ways to get similar benefits.

I think that if I had looked at purchases this hard back in the day before we got our taste of hard times I might have gone and just done whatever I felt like. And that my freinds is why so many of us are in the leaky boats we are.

Think Before You Buy is a Pokeberry Semi-Frugal Best Practice

No comments:

Post a Comment