Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Very Interesting Conversation...

A very interesting conversation at Frugal Dad today. The question that got things going was what is your definition of rich?

Well-- It didn't take long for politics to come up. I joined in a little.

I think the problem I see for many of is we have alot of 'stuff' we don't need but we don't have what we do need-- a sense of security, really owning our homes for instance.

I guess I don't know for sure we will buy the land and mobile I've been talking about lately--but I think--how would it feel to walk that land and know that there's no mortgage on it--its really mine.

I'm thinking--I'd feel rich. I'd feel like I don't mind so much living in a singlewide trailer and paying the low taxes of South Carolina-- because that's all I would have to pay. It would be mine.

Wow--what a concept. Each one sitting beneath his own shade tree eating from the vines on his own land, drinking from his own cistern..

REAL ownership doesn't mean mortgages or government handouts it means taking less than most folks would--but paying for it right up front. Sacrificing a bit now to realize more later. That's rich.

3 comments:

  1. Just having my own peice of land would make me feel rich!!! We have a mortgage payment, a small one (Thank God), and we are stuck with it for 4 more years...then we hope to move to a rural area and do what you are doing! Then I will feel rich!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Julie--you too hunh?
    I used to live in the country for about 10 years. There are parts of city living I enjoy--but I could see so many more things we could do in the country that we like doing. For one thing I love to garden/landscape and I love to walk in woods. What intrigues me is I keep thinking I like to have neighbors--and yet--I can't say that I even know them. Most of the time they aren't home anyhow. We just wave at each other now and then or say good morning if I'm out walking but I know nothing about them. When we lived in the country it was somehow different I did get to know some neighbors quite well. I wonder why that is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Pirke Avot (Sayings of the Fathers, rabbinic text from 2nd century of the common era) 4:1:

    Who is rich? The one who is satisfied with what they have.

    You just can't beat the classics.

    ReplyDelete