Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Thursday, November 6, 2008

8 Pints of Canned Soup! And more.. from Sale priced Chickens

Well, at 59 cents a pound I bought two pretty darn big chickens from Harris Teeter--actually I think that week I bought 8 chickens and froze them. I don't expect a better price anytime soon.

From the 2 chickens I made one chicken dinner, and 2 big pots of soup. One pot is being slurped away--for dinner and lunches yesterday and today. The other pot has been made into 8 pints of canned soup in mason jars which will go into my pantry.

My cost for all this?
About $6 for the 2 chickens, about 40 cents for onions which were sale priced at .99 for 3#, about 90 cents for celery and 50 cents for carrots. 8 jar lids ( I re-use jars and rings so they don't count) for 20 cents a piece =$1.60.

So $9.40 for what amounts to about 3 meals for 4 people plus 8 jars of soup--or 8 lunches. I guess that equals about 20 soup meals--not counting the bread or matzo or crackers that go with the soup.

That totals to less than 50 cents per meal.


All healthy good tasting food too. :) Made in the time I don't usually get paid for --my 'spare time'.

No comments:

Post a Comment