Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Grocery Game Helping Me Meet My Goals!

I took a little time to go over my grocery shopping expenses concentrating on the last 3 months.

Three months ago I began to get more serious about using Grocery Game. I'd been using it on and off without a real 'commitment.' Sometimes I would change my mind and go it alone, then I'd hop back on the GG bandwagon.

In August I decided to go for it, really do my best with it and I have learned some things that I'd like to share here.


First of all--I had three goals.
1.I wanted to cut my grocery budget
2 I wanted to keep a reasonably well stocked pantry
3.I wanted to shop in better stores. I have done customer service type jobs all my life and I just was so sick to death of apathetic service in the stores I was handing my money over to.


I shop regularly at several stores. A few months ago Aldi and Food Lion were getting the lion's share of my money followed by Sam's Club and Harris Teeter at a near tie.

My goal was that I would like to spend more of my shopping money and time at Harris Teeter and less at the other stores. Why? I just enjoy shopping in a place where the management obviously is working hard. The stores are nicer, the service is good the quality is good--one problem--the regular prices are higher than any of my other stores. HOWEVER--Harris Teeter runs great sales and always doubles coupons that have a face value of up to .99. Every couple of months or so they do a triple coupon weekend as well. It is tricky to really get good deals at HT-- you can get 'good deals' or you can get 'REALLY good deals.' On my own, like most shoppers I can easily find a good deal. With the help of Grocery Game however I can consistently find the GREAT deals and it thrills me! Yesterday for instance I made a short extra stop at HT since I had to pick up an RX at the Riteaid next door and they still had the 3x coupon weekend going. I swooped in and picked out some of the deals I'd missed the day before -mainly because they had needed to restock some shelves.

I got 2 16 oz bottles of olive oil, a large plastic can of Folgers coffee, (I like folgers best--bonus), 4 muffin mixes, 2 cans of evaporated milk (for pies!).

When my bill was totalled and my coupons and VIC savings subracted --and some HBC reward points applied --all done in seconds at the register-- my bill was $2.51!!

That's right-- $2.51. I even asked the cashier if there was a mistake cuz the coffee alone was over $10 before my coupons.

I don't think I'd have earned all these HBC points or saved near as much on food this week without Grocery Game.

And yes--I do some scratch cooking--but I like to have some convenience items on hand too-- last night my Hubby made cookies with a mix he found in the pantry and sometimes my daughter will make us a cake or brownies--so these are helpful.

Anyhow--I have been steadily lowering my grocery spending, inspite of the fact that the prices have been steadily increasing.

My pantry is very reasonably stocked as is my freezer--and every item in my stash was purchased at a good discount. It makes me happy to cook knowing that!

Last--I am now doing most of my shopping at Harris Teeter, a store I LOVE to shop in where I am treated like a queen. :) I have a very short list for Aldi this week and the only items we need from Food Lion are my college kid's diet coke and frozen pizza. Which they will buy. I don't even have to go there!

My Sam's shopping has decreased to every other month instead of 2x a month, Aldi is now at every 3 weeks instead of every 2 weeks. :)

This has worked. It is a little bit of work--but much less than if I tried to track prices and cut coupons on my own.

Sometimes my store prices are not exactly what GG says they will be--that's because individual stores can vary. This has worked both ways for me--sometimes my store has a better price, sometimes a higher one. Overall the prices are usually the same as those GG predicts when I use certain coupons.

This week I spent less than $100-- that's fine with me. :) I'm feeding 4 adults. I could easily skip shopping altogether and still feed us for about a month--but I prefer to keep on getting the good deals and stocking up on things that I may need within the next 3 months or so when I can get them for less.

This works! My advice to anyone who tries is stick with it--in time you will see the difference.


Even if you are on a special diet of some sort--and don't use convenience foods-- GG will still tell you when fresh meats, produce and dairy are at the best prices in a cycle-if you shop at a nicer store you will find they carry a nice variety of health foods, ethnic foods, organics and local grown foods-- GG will give you a heads up when those things are discounted too.
I do buy all my cleaning supplies this way and almost all our food.

Last week I purchased enough Delmonte canned veggies to last for several months at the same price as the Aldi canned Veggies. Delmonte does have better quality than Aldi-- but Aldi is fine in a pinch. That's what GG is about--better quality for less. Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment