Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

In Pokeberry This Morning

This morning I ran to the Mexican and Asian stores near me for a few things. I also stopped at Harris Teeter where I picked up a celery root to plant in a pot for my kitchen. At the Asian store I got some shallots for 1.99 a pound--they are bigger and twice as pricey at HT, I also bought some ginger root and some Asian soup cubes. I'm buying the shallots mainly to plant in the garden so cheap is good, the ginger I will partly use and then also plant some in a pot to keep in my kitchen along with that celeriac.

Its a bit disconcerting to start planting for next year when I don't know if we will stay here--but I need to get on with things and that's a good way to do it. At the Mexican grocer I got some celery for my soup since someone ate what was in the fridge. I also picked up garlic to plant in the garden.

To prepare the bed where I plan to put my shallots and garlic I boiled water in one of my biggest canners and then took it out and dumped it on two very large fire ant hills. I noticed another while walking back to the house in a different garden area.

If any ants survived the boiling water bath they will leave the nest and go elsewhere. That's too big of a disturbance for them to keep going there.

I've got a big pot of soup going right now, I used stock I made yesterday. I still have lots of stock. After dinner tonight I will ask for Hubby's help and we'll do some canning of soup and stock, and whatever chicken is leftover. Thats my plan anyhow--if something gets in the way of that we will have to do some quick freezing. I hope not I want to use my new pressure canner!

No comments:

Post a Comment