Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Knefla Soup How To

I promised to post my recipe for Knefla soup which is a recipe adapted from the soups made by the 'Germans from Russia' who settled in the Minnesota and North Dakota area back in the 1800s. This is an awesome comfort food!

Making Knefla soup is quite easy.

First you need a stock pot of chicken stock. You can use homemade stock or canned broth or make a broth using instant soup base mixed with water.

**Remember** none of my soup recipes are 'rocket science' if you don't have exactly the right ingredients, you can usually make a substitution with something similar and amounts don't always have to be spot on either. Soup is very forgiving, maybe that's why I can manage it well. :)


My stock pot holds about 16 cups of stock or broth, I tend to make this size batch as we eat it for several days.

Put the 16 cups of stock and the following ingredients into your stock pot:
8-10 potatoes, peeled & chopped up like for potato soup
2 onions (or use several scallions) chopped small
2-3 carrots minced or chopped fine
2-3 stalks of celry chopped fine
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons of parsley
1 teaspoon of thyme
Salt and Pepper to taste (we use lots of pepper--then we don't need quite so much salt)

Bring it to a boil then turn down and let it simmer for about an hour.


After an hour or so and while the soup pot is still simmering make your knefla.

In a mixing bowl combine 3 cups flour, 2 eggs, 1-1/2 teaspoons of salt and 1-1/2 cup milk. Make into a dough--add extra milk or flour if needed to make this dough pliable enough to roll into 'snakes'. Once vegetables in soup are somewhat tender and you have a few snakes made, take a scissors and cut the snakes into short pieces over the stock pot so that each little iece falls into the soup. These are the knefla.

Let the soup with the knefla in it simmer another 30 minutes then stir in one 12 ounce can of evaporated milk. Stir and eat!

Maybe I'll make a batch of this tomorrow or Friday and post some photos--its very good, creamy, potatoey and doughy--with good chicken soup flavor!

If you are a vegetarian of course you can use a veggie stock instead.

Good stuff!

4 comments:

  1. Thank-you for posting the recipe!

    I'll have to try it to see how it works. I'm hoping we can use to feed our cast/crew on our film set when we starting shooting in the spring.

    Maybe I can get you listed in the film credits... as one of our suppliers of soup recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be neat Maria-- My first film credits. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll have to let me know if you want to go by the name "Pokeberry Mary"! Or if you have another name...

    ReplyDelete
  4. good question--I hadn't thought of that! email me, mlt@jsteng.com and I'll give you the real name--I'm not keen on posting it as I've shared so many details of life here, ya never know who's out there in cyberspace. ;)

    ReplyDelete