Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Monday, November 10, 2008

MMM... Soup's Good!

Homemade soup just about always tastes good for some reason. :)

This time I made a new invention:

1 can kidney beans rinsed and drained
1/2 a celeric root and stems and leaves-- I minced the stems and leaves finely, then just peeled and chopped the roots.
about 2 cups of baby spinach, chopped fine.
2 potatoes peeled and chopped the same size as the celeriac root
1/2 jar of spaghetti sauce 1 pound, 10 oz.
1 average sized stock pot of chicken stock--about 2/3 full
1 large can 28 oz of petite diced tomato ( you could use any canned tomatoes--these were on sale)
3 carrots diced small
1 large onion diced small
Salt & pepper to taste--I use alot of pepper
Italian spices to taste--about 2 tbs.
2 bay leaves
about a teaspoon of a german spice that I had in my cupboard which features dill
1/4 tsp of celery seed since someon has eaten my celery again!
1 cup of chopped lefover grilled chicken
2 strips of leftover cooked bacon ( I always keep a little of this in my freezer in a plastic bag) chopped up fine for a smokey flavor.
------
Last-- 1/2 cup of a small pasta. Orzo would be good I just happened to have some that is shaped like little stars--that's good too!
* at the last minute I also added about a tablespoon of sugar to help cut the 'acid' of the tomatoes.



I brought all this to a boil then turned it down a medium simmer for about 2 hours.
I then brought it back to a boil again and added the pasta to cook at the last 10 minutes.
I got it to a boil again for the pasta and turned it back down and in 10 minutes its done!

The celeriac looks alot like the potato chunks in the soup but has a very mild celery taste. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment