Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Monday, November 3, 2008

Pressure Canner Finishin Up the First Load

Well I put 2 whole chickens in my new pressure canner. I used the stainless steel insert pan we made from an old stock pot. I rubbed each bird down with olive oil and a handful of homemade italian seasoning then slightly browned each bird in the olive oil. I then tucked them into the stock pot together --they fit in snugly when on their sides. The canner booklet says to use 3 3# birds, I had 2 5# birds so that is what's in there. We'll have some chicken for dinner soon then after dinner I'll debone the birds and make stock with the bones and reserve the extra meat to make soup tomorrow morning. The stock I can get going tonight and strain and cool before refrigerating. In the morning I'll skim off the fat and then make some soup with some of it and reserve the rest to pressure can a few jars, as well as some jars of soup and some of just chicken.

My 16 qt canner will handle 7 quart jars, or 12 half-pint jars or 10 pint jars. I'm thinking I'll do all pint jars for the first batch of stock and soup and then do all 1/2 pints of just chicken with a little stock. We'll see. I'm going to practice loading the canner with empty jars to see how best to do a mixed batch.

Can't wait to unload my canner and find out how the chicken did in there! The pot is cooling off right now and de-pressurizing so I'll be able to lift the lid soon.

Using the canner was actually not at all difficult, it takes awhile before it gets up to pressure so you can't literally cook a chicken in 10 minutes--but once the pressure regulating weights begin to jiggle its time to start the 10 minute timer. Kind of cinchy really.

No comments:

Post a Comment