Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Monday, December 15, 2008

Fresh Food From Small Spaces Book!

I picked up a new book at the library last week-- Fresh Food from Small Spaces by R.J. Ruppenthal. The subtitle says it all: The Square Inch Gardener's Guide to Year Round Growing, Fermenting, Sprouting.

Ruppenthal set out the write the book he wished he could find, a book that would give information about just what is possible for those folks who do not have a big yard, or even a yard and wish to grow some of their own fresh foods.

In the book you will find some good ideas on how to look at your space and plan some kind of food system that will work no matter what kind of space you have. There are veggies listed for instance that don't need alot of light, or space. Fruits that can be grown in small spots. Things you can sprout, tips on keeping a chicken(s) in an urban neighborhood, and info about things that you can culture at home as well as mushroom & bee keeping tidbits.

I'm not sure its 'the book I want' I guess I'll have to write that one. ;) I do think it is a great starting point for folks who want to try their hand at gardening and food production on a wee scale. I've enjoyed my gardens while renting houses--and am moving on soon, so this is not what I need at this point. Personally I want a detailed Southern Gardening book--but maybe someone out there reading wants to grow apples on a balcony and ferment things in the dining room? Here's the book for you!

I recall my neighbor's son up in Wisconsin grew those big yucky blob things 'kambucha' mushrooms or whatever they were in his Mom's dining room. The tea he made from them was reasonably good, but not enough to really get me interested in culturing my own blob..maybe you'd like to though?

Ruppenthal's book has lots of that sort of info in it. Yes you can grow strawberries and tomato's in a pot, carrots in the sandbox and mushroom's in your bedroom closet!

Kind of cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment