Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Homemade Sausage... More Thoughts on This

The last minute homemade chicken sausage I made on Christmas to avoid running to a store was a real hit with Hubby. He only wants it a little hotter (like most of his food). I just used chicken breast about a 1.5 pounds with 2 tablespoons of oil and a tad of cheese and lots of spices and herbs. I ground mine in my Vita-Mix which made pretty short work of it. I think for chicken--anything you can make chicken salad with you could make sausage with. I looked at buying a meat grinder attachment for my Bosch mixer--it would be just over $100, like most of the attachments. Well I'm not about to do that. I think for a small batch of fresh sausage you ought to be able to use a good blender to cut it up nicely.

I've got some sale priced pork in my freezer that I think will eventually go for sausage. I wish I'd cut it in smaller chunks before freezing or made sausage before freezing it. Next time I'll do that.

For our family there are a few sausages we use frequently. We use a maple flavored breakfast sausage and we like italian flavored sausages. Since that's what we mainly will use I will just develop recipes to our taste for those two things. I don't need to do any smoking or large batches.

I like this new little skill I've just begun to pick up. I'll likely never become a 'great sausage maker' but I'll learn enough to do what we like for less. How much less? Well--I can buy chicken or pork easily for as little as 1/2 to 1/5 what it costs to buy sausage. Depends on the sales I hit and the cut of meat. Chicken breast I usually get for between .80 to 2.00 per pound. Pork can be as high as 2.99/# when I buy. Obviously both these items can also be purchased for somewhat more-- but not by me. I don't buy meat unless it is a good sale. A REALLY good sale.

Sausage is a value added product. Its generally going to cost me twice what it would cost to buy plain meat--even more.

I can make a nice little batch of yummy enough for us sausage in less than 30 minutes-- plus some fridge time to develop the flavor. Some other task can be done at the same time--so my time is not counted. I mean --mix up sausage while doing laundry or simmering soup, etc..

I love when I find a new money saving idea! Right now I'm on a quest to make a good recipe for a maple breakfast sausage that will pass Hubby's taste test. Once accomplished I'll be a 'Semi-Sausage Master'. ;)

3 comments:

  1. I found a real easy recipe online HERE. I may try it myself! I have a vitamix and you make it sound easy...sooooo.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! This recipe looks even better than the other one!!! I think this one is the one I will try first!!! Thanks for the great idea!!! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link Julie! I'll have to look at it later--I'm working the dreaded back to back to shifts. :(

    Anyhow--the vitamix is so easy--the hardest part is ?? hmm.. there isn't one.

    ReplyDelete