Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Monday, December 8, 2008

What to do with $1.87/# 'Natural' Chicken Breasts.

I bought 3 packages of chicken breast yesterday for $1.87/#. Its that usually pricey fresh chicken that is advertised as hormone and antibiotic free. The breasts were huge nonetheless--which made me wonder-- I guess hormones aren't the only way to get big boobs.

Anyhow-- bad joke aside--

I cut all my chicken into 1/2 inch chunks. I'm using some tomorrow for a cassoulet with polska kielbasa, my frozen garden tomatoes-(now thawing), beans (now soaking) and shallots. I've been prepping that meal while making today's meal.

I've got the Polish Sausage thawed and cut up, and the chicken pre-cooked and cut up. I also have my shallots minced and I will soon have my tomatoes peeled and cut in little chunks and then marinated in olive oil and spices. The beans are soaking in the fridge--I'm using northern beans and kidney beans. I'm working tomorrow so I wanted to get this meal all pre-prepped and ready for Hubby to finish.

I used my biggest wok style pan to pre-cook all my chicken at once, and then I and put it in cheap little sandwhich baggies-- 1/2 pound per bag (I use a little kitchen scale for jobs like this). I set all my little baggies on a tray and they are in the freezer right now getting a quicky freeze. One of them will go in the fridge with tomorrow's meal ingredients. The rest of the baggies are going to go inside one large FoodSaver bag which I will vacuum seal. Iike to pre-freeze or pre-bag most meats before I vacuum seal because otherwise the juices can get inside the vacuum sealer and ruin it. (Don't ask me how I know that--but this is not my first FoodSaver)

Whenever I want to use a bag or two of pre-cooked chicken chunks I can take them out of the FoodSaver bag and then just re-vaccum and seal it and put the rest back in the freezer. This is far less pricey than using a separate little FoodSaver bag for each portion as each FoodSaver bag must have a border around it, thus using up alot of pricey plastic. I learned this through experience as well.

Well, my fish is marinating for tonight's dinner and I've managed alot of things today, time for a wee tad of a nap I think before I cook dinner. How pleasant!

2 comments:

  1. I so look forward to your blog every day. It's refreshing to read someone's determination and pleasure in making their dreams come true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I enjoy writing, it helps me keep myself on track and working toward my goals. :)I also love to encourage others to give life their all!

    ReplyDelete