Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Modern Medicine-- Help or Harm?

Well this is a pickle this morning. I decided to look into the meds I have used for Asthma when one of my readers emailed about some concerns. Turns out my new inhaler--which I've used more and more since fall, has had a huge amount of complaints from users. Folks say it makes them sicker! I read some of their complaints and many say it has been making them sicker, causing them to need steroids.. etc..

It turns out the older inhalers had a different propellant system that has been outlawed in order to prevent cfc's in the atmosphere. The new one has an environmentally safer so-called propellant.

I blinked reading that-- HOW MUCH CFC COULD POSSIBLY GET IN THE AIR FROM ASTHMATIC'S USING INHALERS?????? THIS MAKES EVEN LESS SENSE THAN CHARGING FARMER'S FOR COW BELCHING AND FLATULENCE!!! WILL WE START LOOKING FOR CHIPMUNKS TO TAX FOR BAD BREATH TOO NOW? THAT'S ABOUT HOW MUCH SENSE WORRYING ABOUT CFCS IN AN INHALER MAKES.


Yah--it makes me angry. It makes me angry that we send people to Washington thinking they might have a lick of sense and they seldom do.

Sigh..

Well anyhow thinking back, I realize I have been getting worse since I got this inhaler--and when I get short of breath--I reach for it. Great. No wonder I can't shake this stuff--I'm probably irritating my lungs every time I try to help them.

---

Another case of Modern Medicine not maybe being very helpful is my dear Daughter-in-law and Grandbaby.

#1 Son is quite upset. Both the gals have little fevers so they have been put on IVS and now cannot go home for several more days. He says that he does all the baby care in her room, the nurses come in and take the babies temp but he says he has taken her temp much more than they have and that he has never seen a fever. He says her temp was up a little bit after she had been particularly fussy--and that's when they pronounced her needing IVs. Now he is looking at what he believes is a perfectly healthy infant, with an IV which he must be constantly juggling to keep her from kicking it out, while also helping his wife to manage the baby along with her incision and IVs. He's pretty frustrated.

He says they do not care for his wife as well as they ought to. They have allowed her IV bag to dry out and get clogged. Allowed her catheter to overfill and nearly burst. Not brought her pain meds for more than 4 hours after they were due, then when he complained-- delayed another 30 minutes.

He does not feel he can leave his wife and child in the hospital alone all day. He planned on complaining to her doctor today and seeing if they would let him take them home.

Ah my.. this is so hard to hear from so far away!

Starting my day off a bit unhappy I'm afraid. I do hope things improve at the hospital and that if Mom & Baby really do need antibiotics they continue to get them--but if not--that they get to go home where they can rest and get better more easily.

As for my inhaler--I've decided to stop using it for a few days and see if I feel any better. I was sleeping in a recliner again last night with a steamer. This time I didn't reach for the inhaler--I just coughed and drank water, and coughed and drank water. Its frustrating. If it gets worse I will call the doctor and see what can be done--but this inhaler--I'm just not so sure it has helped at all, and it really does seem it may have made things worse.

ARGH!

Luckily I'm fairly functional. I can manage my days well enough and I'm going to work today. I just feel tired and my breathing isn't as good as I'd like. Evening is when it is worst--which is when I most want to rest, then my coughing increases.

I signed an online petition to bring back the old rescue inhalers for asthma. I hope someone somewhere is influenced by it in all the beauracracy. I wish normal every day folks would go work in Washington--I wish you didn't have to be well-connected, ivy league and rich to be elected. I wish you didn't have to be political royalty to be appointed to vacant seats. I wish it were America again--where folks who come from places where they 'talk funny' and know how to use a wrench or a shot gun, knew how to stay within a budget, and could count properly--had some chance of getting elected.


Pokeberry Mary -- a wee tad ticked.

4 comments:

  1. Try Grandma's recipe!!!

    They didn't have asthma inhalers.

    I don't drink, it's against my religious beliefs, but a small portion of a portion of alcohol to break up a cough is NOT drinking. It IS medicinal. Mix with honey and lemon juice.
    It's the only thing that works for me - and my Dr and I tried EVERYTHING else before I would use it - because I DON'T use alcohol.

    I promise, you will feel better and stop coughing.

    hugs,
    Darlene (who went from drought conditions in north Ga to flood watch/warnings in a matter of months. Did I miss the memo to build/board an ark?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, have you ever tried out Baker Creek Seeds? I've heard they were a good seed company, but I've never purchased from them.
    I'm looking to get seeds I can save and it looks like most of their seeds are either heirloom or open pollination seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never looked at Baker Creek--if they are online I'll look at them today. I just got a seed catalog at work yesterday, the magazine gal at the libary saves them for me. This one is all fruits. Miller I think it was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For many thousands of patients (including patients who are physicians, surgeons, PhDs in pharmacology, chemistry and other hard sciences, RNs, respiratory therapists and other medical professionals), HFA MDIs are NOT as safe and effective as CFC MDIs, and a handful of drug company-sponsored 6-12 week clinical trials testing 58-200 MILD ASTHMATICS doesn't change this FACT- ESPECIALLY when the RESULTS of even these pathetic 'trials' CONSISTENTLY CONFIRM the superior safety of CFC MDIs. (The HFA-134a propellant itself was NEVER TESTED on actual PATIENTS, by the way.) We know that many patients do well with HFA MDIs, but many others are suffering and, in some cases, dying from them. We have three years of FDA MedWatch data on our site, as well as the details of these clinical trials, and this data clearly and dramatically supports our position.

    We encourage anyone who is suffering with 'environment-friendly' HFA MDIs (which are MANY TIMES WORSE than CFC MDIs in their Global Warming Potential, by the way) to join our campaign to REVERSE this unprecedented medical scandal at:

    savecfcinhalers.org

    Arthur Abramson
    The National Campaign to Save CFC Asthma Inhalers

    ReplyDelete