Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Friday, March 6, 2009

Carolina Wren Nest on the Carport Patio!

I have noticed a pair of C. Wrens lately that have been on the patio an awful lot. I happened to see that they approach, usually one at a time, and land in my little stack of empty pots. This morning I noticed that they were coming with bits of skeletonized leaves in their beaks--nesting material!

Watching from my window I followed with my eyes and realized they must be building a nest in my wicker bookshelf, the one I painted last spring.

I went outside and stood back to see where the nest might be--I'd already been out earlier peaking into various birdhouses to see if any were filled with twigs.

Well I have noticed that two of my bird houses have nests--both are gourds. And--- the new Carolina Wren nest on my patio wicker shelves--is in a gourd that I forgot I had left on the top shelf there last fall.

Apparently the birds in my yard prefer the bluebird box and the gourds to any other bird houses.

I'm so exited that C. Wrens are building right near my kitchen window! They have been my favorite little birds since I moved to Charlotte. They have an amazing song, and are great little bug hunters too. :) How Nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment