Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Early Spring Cuttings-- Hydrangea, Honeysuckle & Etc..

I have some time to 'play' today since I won't be working til later this afternoon and I won't be going to the new house. I went outside and took some cuttings. I got some honeysuckle and another vine from along the fence--I trimmed off all but the top leaves of 'green wood' cuttings and stuck them in a mason jar of plain water. I'll have to keep an eye on the water and change it frequently. I loved the honeysuckle that grew here last year it smelled just heavenly.

I took some tip cuttings of the gardenia shrubs in the front and some cuttings of the brand new growth coming up on the hydrangea shrubs. I also got 'just a few' from a neighbor's shrub that hangs over the fence.

I filled up one of my sterlite plastic containers with perlite and vermiculite, watered it and used it for my cuttings. Its a clear plastic container with a clear plastic lid.

All my cuttings, except the vines, were just a few inches in size. I trim off all the leaves except the ones at the tip and then dip the cuttings in rooting hormone powder before sticking them in the perlite mixture inside the plastic container.

When I'd fitted as many cuttings as I could in the box I put its lid on tight and took it outside to the semi-shaded carport~patio. They won't get enough sun to bake there but they will get enough to root. :)

I love propagating plants. Something from nothing--what gal wouldn't love that?

No comments:

Post a Comment