Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Nesting Business...

The little C. Wrens continue to build their nest on the carport/patio. A pair of house sparrows has moved into the blue bird house on the garage. I believe now that the Mockingbird atop the holly has a nest in that tree. He now chases blue jays away from any area of the backyard, not just the tree. Also he doen'st seemto be eating many holly berries--so I think he must have a different reason for protecting that tree so vigorously. The holly hedge near the pool contains a great deal of birdy chatter--its a dense hedge so I have no idea how many little nests are within it.

Currently there are plenty of little birds in the garden and yard here in Pokeberry-- cardinals, jays, sparrows, chickadee, mockingbird, finches have all made appearances. The Carolina Wrens are almost constanly busy near the patio, often climbing in and out of my 'empty pots'. Today is going to be very warm, high 70s and blue sky. I'm working. No matter, tomorrow I plan to go to the house and work on my garden-- God Willing! Hubby has promised to fix the broken water pipe so I can use the hose and to see if he can repair my wheel barrow tire which has gone flat.

I'm excited about it. I plan to start some new beds and get a better idea of what direction go go in planning garden spaces. Hubby and crew will dry wall while I work in the yard.

A little chickadee is atop the dogwood right now and another at the party feeder. There has been a great deal of singing this morning, I guess the birds are approving that it is not freezing out. Funny how you can go from freezing and snow to high 70s in just a few days here.

There goes that Mockingbird again, busily chasing away the jays. He definitely does NOT want them in the garden right now. He doesn't pay attention to any of the other birds so I think it is their proclivity for messing with other birds nests that has him riled up. Must be.

Well Pokeberry will care for itself, I must get a going. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mary...I have been reading, but just haven't had much time for posting lately! Just got back from my trip with my dtr. to Key West. Hope all is well with you and the new house! The birds have been so noisy here...especially, it seems, the mockingbirds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do know what you mean.. too busy. ;) Whew! Such a lot to do here all the time. ;)

    ReplyDelete