Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Ordering from Seed Catalogs..

I ordered some strawberry and red raspberry plants from Gurney up in Illinois. They usually have a pretty good deal. Meredith from Merchant Ships reminded me of them a while ago when I was pondering who to order from.

I've bought some seeds already this year, they came pretty quickly which is nice. The plants I just ordered will not arrive for about a month however. I'm kind of bummed about that. It is plenty warm enough to plant berries here NOW. However--it isn't time to get them ready for shipping up in Illinois--too cold there. :(

I will have to wait.

I could get plants now at the stores near me--but the problem is they are far more pricey. 1 small container of strawberries which generally will have 2 small plants in it--is $3.50. I can get 50 strawberry plants from Gurney for about $10 --using one of their buy one get one deals. I am starting my fruit garden with 50 strawberries and a dozen red raspberry. There are already black raspberries on the land growing wild. I would love to buy just everything--but this is my budget--one tree, a few shrubs, some seeds, and a beginning of strawberries and rasberries. Next year perhaps I can do better. :)

Gardens fill in quickly though with perenial type plants. I did not bring any plants with me when I came to Charlotte a couple years ago from Fargo. I now have plenty of herbs and perenial plants and my garden is going to be far from empty at the start. I also have a big collection of seeds. In no time the new Pokeberry will be a thing of beauty!

No comments:

Post a Comment