Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Friday, March 27, 2009

Rose of Sharon-- A Generous and Lovely Plant!

Last year my neighbor lifted several young Rose of Sharon plants over the fence for me, and I thank him for such a great gift! These are plants I intend to take with me when I go--as well as a little brown bag full of seeds from last summer's flowers.

The flowers of Rose of Sharon resemble those of hibiscus and hollyhock. They are far easier to grow than either one and they are very hardy here.

They flower pretty much all summer in a variety of colors and can be pruned into all kinds of shapes. Some folks let them grow as tall as a tree--my neighbor's tower over my holly hedge at about 15 feet I am guessing. I've seen photos of them espaliered against a wall--which is an idea I definitely want to try! I've seen them grown in groups and cut to make a hedge, or grown as a pretty speciment plant.

They're fabulous!

Fast growing, easy to grow from seeds or from transplants, self-sowing and extremely versatile.

I can't wait to get mine growing and multiplying in my new Pokeberry Garden at our new house!

No comments:

Post a Comment