Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Direct Sow Tomato and Pepper Seeds Experiment

In all my winter sowing earlier this year I did not get around to starting my tomatoes and peppers. Now its April--time to start transplanting them to the garden. Oops!

I've decided to experiment with direct sowing some of my seeds. I'm going to put them in a makeshift cold frame using concrete blocks and an old window. I'll prop the window open just a tad so they don't cook. I also will put them in a slightly shaded area of my garden. I'm going to do the same with some peppers.

I am going to purchase a few tomato and pepper plants from the store so I will still have some to harvest early.

If I lived in a cooler climate I don't think I'd attempt this. Here in zone 7b the growing season is usually long enough that this should work out fine. I'll update this post and print a progress report later--including details on how these plants do.

I think it will be fine. It is so much easier to sow a row of seeds in a bed than to sow seeds in a variety of little containers, this will be a good time saver for me. If it works out ok--I'll do it again next year. :)

2 comments:

  1. Today I blogged about some of my favorite sites and I just wanted to let you know I enjoy our blog.

    http://rugbana.xanga.com/698444635/some-of-my-fav-sites/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tessy, I like your blog! I've started a new one today--just wanted to try this idea--it will be a blog for leftovers.
    check it out! http://moneysavingleftovers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete