Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Friday, June 5, 2009

Gardenias in the Rain




When we moved into the house we are currently renting there were lots of shrubs that were a bit neglected. I tended them last summer, watering and fertilizing and pruning and trusting that they would likely improve. This year I was rewarded by flowers on the hydrangeas in the back yard but also by a super abundance of gardenias on a few shrubs that last year held less than a dozen blooms between them.

I was outside with Mojo this morning, sipping some coffee watching the rain come down as it has since sometime early yesterday evening--fairly steadily. Its a dark morning and I have to admit I am not at my best. I went to physical therapy yesterday morning and later to work. My body feels as if it were beaten up rather than rested. I think though the sweet scent of those gardenias just drifting toward me on a rainy breeze has revived my spirit. Sure I am tired and sore--but with a better, calmer outlook.

I was thinking about the flowers and their lovely scent-- magnolias too are a favorite of mine, and honey suckle and roses. All of these bloom a short while and send their perfume in the wind at random moments, then cease.

I thought-- you can't live entirely surrounded by the scent of flowers all the time. If you could you probably wouldn't even notice them. I think it is because of the rarity of a sweet scented flower's perfume that they are so wonderful and so uplifting.

While the gardenias are in bloom I think I will visit them often.

No comments:

Post a Comment