Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Switching Jobs..




Last night was my final shift at the library I have been working at for the past couple years.

My co-workers were wonderful. They had a nice big cake made for me decorated to look like a garden! It had tiny rows of carrots, squashes, tomatoes and lettuces. ;)

There was also the best pumpkin pie I've ever eaten and the prettiest too, as well as chips and dip and some cream puffs. A very nice little spread!

My boss and a couple of co-workers, one who recently retired and one who I have worked with frequently since I started there, also took me out for dinner. I had an extra long 'lunch hour' but I guess they weren't going to fire me over it. ;)

The day before, Monday, one of the gals in the children's department took me for lunch too. Two nice meals and a dessert spread--as well as some nice gift cards and a hand knitted dish rag with soap--all told a pretty nice send off for a part time job. ;)

I spent much of the evening finishing up details of things like making sure someone else could take over the library blog after me and finishing any work that I might not have gotten to this past week.

It was sad to go. I knew all week that I was just really going to miss folks at the library--even the volunteers. I've loved that job!
However-- that said-- as I was driving home at 9 at night and the road ahead of me was long and I was tired, I knew I'd made the best decision I could on this job. I just really need to not do that drive! Monday I left at 11am and didn't get home until 10 pm! That's just too much for me. :(

My kids were pretty excited last night when I came in with all the leftovers from the feasting. They got more than half that cake as well as some leftover pizza and thai food. Pretty nice considering I haven't made dinner the past 2 days. (don't worry they are all old enough to fend for themselves in the kitchen--they just prefer not to)

Today is another day, as the saying goes and I am 'off' today so only have my work to do here at home. Tomorrow I begin my new job with some paperwork and computer training. On to new things!

I do wonder at times how the new job will be, will I like it so much as the old one--I guess I do have my doubts to be honest. I had alot of freedom at the library and opportunities to do some creative things and I enjoyed that. Even so there is something to be said for a cashier job as well. I love customer service and the little bits of daily give and take with regular customers and I do love Harris Teeter as a store--its hand's down the best grocery store in this part of the country. It will be ok, just different. :)


A new chapter begins in my life on Pokeberry Hill.

3 comments:

  1. Mary,

    What a beautiful "garden" cake! I know you will miss the library and your friends and patrons. But you have the right attitude and have made the good choice for your life right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful send-off! They must have really loved you!

    I hope your new job will be great, and you will be very happy there! It will be really nice just to bring home a few things after work, since you are right there!!! YEAH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies!
    I know its the right choice.. just hard to be always changing things. Hopefully I'll get a taste of some stability in the future. :) We shall see..

    ReplyDelete