Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Friday, October 9, 2009

Paper Towel Budget

UGH!! Some readers may recall I gave up paper towels at one time, to save money. Then--I had done some math and figured it cost me about $200-$250 per year to use paper towels instead of rags. I have to say, when we got busy with our move we got in the habit again. Also--our new house has an 2nd floor laundry room so washing rags from the kitchen now requires a trot upstairs--many extra steps.

I do feel spoiled again. The convenience of paper towels is certainly not something to sniff at. However--I did the math again. The cost of paper towels for our size family is now about $335 per year--less if I happen to have coupons, but not enough less to make me very happy.

I'm thinking--if I had to buy these all at once and plunk down $300 or more for paper towels for the year--I wouldn't do it. Would you?

Money just leaks out everywhere these days doesn't it?

At my current rate of pay for work as a part time cashier---it seems I work about 3 weeks a year for paper towel... hmmm.. maybe running upstairs to wash my rags isn't so bad an idea? Maybe I can afford nicer napkins? Maybe paper towels are a really huge extravagance??

2 comments:

  1. WOW...this really gets you thinking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think part of the problem is there are so many folks here and they grew up used to having this stuff. Is a tough thing to get rid of. I go through a big roll pack most weeks when I'm not being vigilant. This week that means on sale for $6.49 minus a doubled coupon--so it will probably be about $5.50 for 8 rolls. Not a bad price but nonetheless it does add up--and we generally end up tossing it on our burn piles. :( yikes!

    ReplyDelete