Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Dinner at LaVecchia's in Uptown Charlotte--Wow!

Well I didn't know where we were having dinner until we were well on our way. We went to Uptown Charlotte and enjoyed the beautifully lit skyline and had dinner at LaVeccia's. I'd heard they had the best seafood in the area so I was pretty excited.

Turns out however, there is not a huge selection of seafood--which surprised me. However what they do have is all delicious. Every bite I had was wonderful--maybe just a little salty--but I think I'm noticing salt more because my doctor is telling me to concentrate on lowering my intake of it.

Anyhow, we had fillet mignon and grilled shrimp and also an appetizer of calamari. I've always resisted calamari--just didn't like the whole idea of rubbery, squiggly squid parts. When I saw the dish and how lightly it was breaded--it was pretty--I decided to give it a try. I found I liked it fine and had three little pieces. I also enjoyed the fresh bread with herbed butter.

My filet came with buttermilk whipped potatoes, bernaise sauce and fresh veggies lightly sauteed or stir fried. It was all just wonderful. Still I brought home a good bit of steak and some shrimp as it was alot. The potatoes I could not part with -- #2 Son always gets leftovers from the fridge-he didn't get the tates. ;)

I got a free dessert for my birthday, a delicious piece of cocolate cake with chocolate mousse filling and chocolate buttercream frosting and a bit of a chocolate sauce drizzled on the plate. I ate a few bites and so did Hubby and the rest came home. It was incredible!!

The dinner was pricey--I don't think we'd ever take the whole family there--but it was just a really nice treat for me to go there. I loved the decor of metal fish art and the whole experience was fun.

Hubby and I talked about our kids among other things. We especially talked about #2 son who seems to have finally found some direction for himself. He's been doing some soul searching for awhile. He has many aptitudes--can do just about anything--but he just could not decide what he WANTS to do for a career. Well, the past couple days he let me know he is very interested in of all things--cooking!

I thought his Dad might disapprove but it turns out I was wrong. We both know the young man loves to cook and to eat. He will go to great lengths to make a dish taste the best it can. The other night he had my meat grinder out and he re-ground some cheap ground beef to make better burgers for our dinner. He's passionate when he makes phillies too. When all the kids went out to the Waffle Hut--some of them disliked the place and kind of griped about the service and such like--this kid was just enthralled with the concept of all the different toppings they offered for waffles.

He is also always watching re-runs of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations and Iron Chef. I guess-- there's a passion there.

I thought of the Mom in My Big Fat Greek Wedding talking to her daughter who was about to marry a non-Greek. She said

"I gave you life, so that you could live it."

That's all I want for me kids. Be able to support yourself yes--but how you do it-- that's YOUR business not mine. I don't want to be in charge of who my kids decide to marry or what they do for a living. I want them to live their lives in the way that is best for them.

I feel our job is helping them develop interests and talents and skills and listening to them and giving what advice we may be able to--but not controlling.

I know better. We can't control them anyhow--why the heck try?

So-- maybe #2 will end up a cook, maybe someday have a little restaraunt of his own.. Who knows?

It was good to talk about it at our dinner because this one, is the last one who did not really have a 'dream' at this point. It felt as if something had become complete for us as parents and maybe in a way we were 'freed' from our job more and could begin now to think more about our own lives together. We have not been alone since our first year of marriage--almost 30 years ago! Its getting to be time isn't it?

We both agreed it would be nice to get out together a little more often. Maybe not at such a pricey venue--but go more places together.

We're both kind of excited about the next year. When we come home from our trip we will be working on the house as usual, but also I am going to start the seeds for the garden and Hubby wants to open the space more for my garden and get me some 'real soil' delivered for some nice raised beds. We talked about the good things we could grow.

All in all it was a great night out, delicious food and good company too.

No comments:

Post a Comment