Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Winter Storm in Pokeberry..

We woke at about 5 am to the sound of little ice pellets tapping steadily against our window. We generally get up just about that time anyhow so up we are--even though its Saturday. Hubby had planned to go into work today to get extra time in on a project but that appears to be out of the question. There's no working today. I'm glad Daughter has the weekend off, as I would worry about that, she works very early. There's no driving here this morning, maybe all day. What are getting now is icy rain and it is supposed to continue for the next 12 hours and be followed by snow. This is South Carolina, so there's no such thing as a snow plow. They do salt the roads, but I'm pretty sure that won't be enough to do the job in these conditions.

I've got some beans cooking and a couple of chickens thawing for later today. The first thing I usually do every morning is think about dinner. I can thaw a couple of chickens in a big bus tray filled with cold water and have them ready for roasting by noon or later usually. If not chicken, perhaps something else. Lately we've been using some London Broils I got for $1.99 a pound to make anything that calls for ground beef. They didn't turn out to be great quality for broiling, but they make great ground beef. I have several in the freezer. Yesterday I used two to make a big batch of tacos. We have some leftovers for that and some leftover spanish rice and salsa. If I add my beans--which I plan to make 'Black Bean Chili' with, and a couple of chickens--which I will roast and then store in some big rotisserie chicken containers I washed out and re-use. We'll have enough good food to make it through the weekend and then some. This weekend I'm feeding 4 men. I have Hubby, #2 and #3 Son's and their buddy from Wisconsin who is visiting until Monday. Perhaps if the roads improve we'll have Daughter and Not-so-Plump Ernie here tomorrow. (Ernie's plump is an heirloom tomato)

Last time I was near the little country library in a town called Indian Land, not too far from me, I picked up a copy of Emeril's New New Orleans Cooking by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. I've been dabbling with his recipes all week. There's some really good stuff in this book! One thing I made the other day and have been keeping in a little jar in the fridge and adding to various dishes is a cilantro oil mix. This is just wonderful and gives a fresh delicious taste to everything I've tried it in so far. I used it for a dip for some seared shrimp, and I have since added it to taco meat, salsa, and spanish rice. I still have some left and its good in the fridge for a few more days, I think I'll be adding some to the black bean chili today. #3 Son is always interested in what's cooking and he has approved this recipe as well.

Emeril's Cilantro Oil:
1/2 cup (packed) cilantro leaves, 1 teaspoon minced shallots, 1 teaspoon minced garlic *, 1/2 teaspoon salt**, 3 turns freshly ground black pepper, 3/4 cup olive oil.

Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender and puree about 1 minute. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

* I used less garlic because the garlic I have on hand currently is very potent.
**I used less salt and I used kosher salt because I have to keep my sodium on the low side.


This is only one of the recipes I found that I've tried so far. There are quite a few I want to make before I have to return this book and I think I could see myself buying a copy--its got a lot of good stuff in it.

Well, today I think I need to concentrate on the Etsy store. I'm a little bleary eyed this morning and maybe not quite in the mood to do that right now, but once my bones and eyes warm up it should be a good Etsy day. I need to start a new account first. My original one finally got closed yesterday after waiting nearly a week for customer service to do that. They were very nice, but I was surprised it took that long. I had a common problem--starting an account with a name that wouldn't be good for a store. You cannot change your account name at Etsy you have start all over.

I will try to do some photo shots of things and list them as well as open the new account. Jasper the Jazz Bear is still getting some last minute tweaking, but should be ready to list today. Then I can start making a new critter. The nice thing about Etsy is you can leave your items up for sale for a long time if they don't sell right away, so slowly I can stock my shelves and learn the ropes on how to do it all at the same time.

Its nice having Hubby home today, though I know he wanted to go to the office, it will be a cozy day for all of us. One problem though-- there's no diet coke here for the 'diet coke heads' I hope they'll be able to make it. I'm so glad I'm a coffee gal. Nor store runs today.

Icy Good Day to y'all from Pokeberry!

No comments:

Post a Comment