Good Bye to Pokeberry Hill...

PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BLOG TO VISIT ME.
POKEBERRY PATCH IS NOW OPEN FOR CYBER NEIGHBOR'S TO STOP BY!

Sunday, February 21, 2010

In Go The Seeds, Then Comes The Rain.. Mojo's Lamentations, Ruby Herself, and Looking Forward to the New One..

The sun was very warm yesterday afternoon when I finally tucked my first sowing of peas into the ground. I planted four kinds. I'm not sure about one of them, I don't know how old the seed is, it was a gift from another gardener and is an old Telephone Tall Pea variety, an heirloom. I am to save seeds if it happens to germinate and grow. Perhaps it will. I gave my peas every chance. I soaked them overnight in water and then sprinkled and coated them with a little legume inoculate, a bacteria that helps peas sort of generate their own nitrogen so that they will grow nice and big. As I was sowing and enjoying the warm sunshine I was thinking ahead to the rain that was expected today. Perfect timing for planting!

This morning it is already warmer than it has been in the mornings here by nearly 20 degrees. It is 43 degrees here at 7 am! Spring must be coming. Yesterday I heard many bird voices singing their best songs early in the day. I remembered that I do need to get my nest boxes all cleaned out and properly mounted soon.

This morning at the moment I only hear the rain. The little peas in the warmed up earth are soaking up moisture and hopefully I'll see bits of green peeking up in about a week wherever a seed was sown. If the weather holds, I will be planting out more things next week.

Mojo had an adventure yesterday. We took him with us for a ride into town. Hubby bought a new TV. It was kind of funny because we forgot we had Moj with us. The TV box took up most of the back of the back of the jeep--which is where Mojo goes normally. Obviously we couldn't fit him in the front with us and he did have to go in back, in the little bit of space we managed to arrange for him right behind Hubby.

Mojo always waits nicely in the car and we decided to stop and have lunch in a restaurant while we were out, so Moj was of course in the driver's seat when we came back. He looked a bit like he belonged there too. ~smile~ Of course he was ousted back to the rear right away.

Mojo makes the funniest sounds when he is not pleased. One night the boys had company and he badly wanted to stay up with them. He generally goes to bed when Hubby and I do. We told him to lay down and he did, but he flopped down loudly and dramatically with a noise that sounded allot like 'harrumph'. We chuckled in our bed. Yesterday Hubby had put Moj in the cage as we were getting ready to leave for our ride. Mojo let out the loudest most plaintive wail I ever heard--"HOW could you??" That's how he ended up in the back of the jeep with the TV, we just couldn't. We aren't always so 'easy' there are times we have been quite firm with our no to Mojo.

Sometimes the boys like to go target practice in a field back behind our house. When they have a gun with them Mojo is not allowed to follow along. Yesterday after we got home they did that. Moj sat outside on his tie out looking longingly out at the field where the boys had gone, and beseechingly back at the house to see if we might have mercy on his plight. Not this time. Eventually he again plopped himself down with his disgruntled harrumph noise and waited for them to come home.

This dog is almost like having a 5th kid. He wants to play with his big brothers and go wherever they go, and he doesn't like to be left behind or out of the fun. His verbal complaints are so funny! He truly does seem to be human when he tells us off or pouts.

I did have to abandon him one more time for a short while. He is a devoted Garden Puppy. However, I did not allow him to come with me when I planted my peas. I know him too well. He wants to do whatever his human pack mates do. If he sees me dig in the dirt in a certain spot--as soon as I am done he will run over there and dig that same spot. I finally realized that as much as I enjoy his companionship in my garden, he cannot accompany me for seeding or weeding chores. He seems OK the rest of the time--but those are times when he can really be a problem.

On To Human Babies...

I heard news from Daughter-in-Law out on the other side of the country. Ruby has caught cold so she is 'slimy and whiny' and therefore no pictures this week. She has also learned to say no and put up a good little tantrum already and is an expert climber--which is keeping Mommy and Daddy on their toes. I was amazed at Christmas to see what a true force of nature this tiny little one was. She's so much her own person, as they all are from birth. Reminds me of my own babies, especially #2 Son who was the climber and Daughter who was the independent one. But she's not either of those, she's Ruby. It will be fun to find out who the little person is that is growing now, and scheduled to join us in the fall. Reminds me of one of my old favorite Cat Steven's songs-- Oh Very Young.

Oh very young
What will you leave us this time
You're only dancing on this earth for a short while
And though your dreams may toss and turn you now
They will vanish away like your daddy's best jeans
Denim Blue fading up to the sky
And though you want them to last forever
You know they never will
You know they never will
And the patches make the goodbye harder still

Oh very young
What will you leave us this time
There'll never be a better chance to change your mind
And if you want this world to see a better day
Will you carry the words of love with you
Will you ride the great white bird into heaven
And though you want to last forever
You know you never will
You know you never will
And the goodbye makes the journey harder still

Oh very young
What will you leave us this time
You're only dancing on this earth for a short while
Oh very young
What will you leave us this tim
e

1 comment:

  1. Mojo sounds so funny!!! What a great dog you got there!!! Glad you are sounding like you feel better and able to get your peas planted. I will be waiting anxiously to see the little seedlings pop up!!! Such fun! Glad your weather is warmng up...ours has also! It is just gorgeous outside right now, isn't it???

    ReplyDelete